heater core

Old 11-05-03, 12:50 PM
heater core

Hi,

My heater core is clogged, and I'm going to replace it. I am curious though, if the core is clogged then is the rest of the cooling system full of crud too? Should I replace the radiator, or flush the system before putting in a new heater core?

Israel

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-03, 01:54 PM
crt8
Visiting Guest
clogged heater core

If you are going to replace the heater core because it is clogged,flushing the cooling system would be a good idea.Also replace the thermostat at the same time to save heating or cooling problems down the road.

Old 11-05-03, 08:46 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
as long as it isn't leaking, i've unclogged plenty of cores with a few quick blasts of compressed air.

it's a whole lot easier and worth a try.

radiator can be flushed the same way, also take the block drain plug out and thermostat out and have at it with a garden hose.

Old 11-06-03, 07:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
You can also use a Flush and Fill Kit by Prestone. I've seen plenty of crap come out of vehicles with that .

Old 11-06-03, 01:22 PM
You guys have a point on flushing first to see what happens. Should I just get a regular rad flush, or use a 10 minute flush product? I live in an apt., so using the Prestone kit is a little problematic--I'll see what I can do. Thanks.

Israel

Old 11-06-03, 04:55 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Get to somewhere where you can use a garden hose. Either way you're going to need it.

Old 11-06-03, 09:55 PM
chip
Visiting Guest
I second the notion that if the heater core isn't leaking try all the above to unclog it before replacing it. In may amateur mechanic career I've replaced five heater cores and there is nothing fun about the task. I don't know if it's true or not but a pro once told me that in Detroit when they assemble a car the first thing they do is hang a heater core on the assembly line and then build the car around it!

Old 11-06-03, 10:48 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
israel, go to home depot and buy a 1/2" copper elbow, connect the heater hoses to this to bypass the heater core. now go find a shop with a friendly mechanic who will spend 10 seconds blowing out the core with compressed air, or find a neighbor with an unattended garden hose or even a tire filling station. the air will remove a ton more junk from the core. if it's cleared out, it will work.

be very careful removing the hoses initially, it you crimp the heater core pipes, you will end up putting a core in it anyway.

the best thing to do is take a razor blade and slice the hose off the pipes and peel the hose off. it is made out of very soft copper and will deform with very little pressure.

let us know what you end up doing

Old 11-07-03, 07:21 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
I did this once and it worked for my friend. LOL.

We had a garden hose where we cut off the end (I think it was a Sears hose, so free warranty. LOL). Clamped it on one side and used the burst of water from the valve to flush it. You should have seen the crap that came out of there. LOL.

Scientific? Hardly. Did it work? Sure. LOL.

Old 11-07-03, 10:25 AM
Thank you very much gentlemen for these excellent replies! I will follow through. It's seems a lot easier than the alternative.

Israel

Old 11-10-03, 11:03 AM
I had a rather busy weekend, but I did have time to take the heater core "out of the loop". I got the 1/2 copper elbow for $0.50, and it took no time at all to disconnect and re-connect the hoses. It was so cheap and easy it was fun! Tonight I'll try clearing out the core. Would a Coleman plug in air compressor be strong enough to do the trick, or definitely a commercial air compressor?

Israel

Old 11-10-03, 02:35 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
a coleman plug-in? if you mean a cigarette lighter plug in one---no, not enough volume. you need a quick volume of air or water, our shop is around 150 psi, i haven't damaged a core yet with that.

try to find a gas station with 'free' air, this will be the volume you need, or find a similiar gas station with a free water hose. either way, you will make a mess, so try to be quick about it. pull up, pretend you are setting tire pressure, quickly open the hood when no one is looking (and dark out) hold it on the fitting of the core a few times until the air or water comes out of the other port freely, then slam the hood and drive away. if you are concerned about making a mess, carry an empty antifreeze jug to slip over the other fitting, to catch the sludge/coolant mixture that will fly out.

reconnect the hoses when your done, and drive it until the air is bled out=heat!

Old 11-12-03, 09:20 AM
I got to a commercial air line and a garden hose--the core is clear!!! Thank you all very, very, much! Much easier than removing it.

Israel