Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

ford van rear hatch will not latch

Visiting Guest

11-05-03, 07:40 PM   #1  
paul rye
ford van rear hatch will not latch

The rear hatch will not latch on our 1991 Ford van. It is free and can be moved by hand. One of the two jaws in the latch can be moved to the latch posistion and will stay until the second latch is moved. Then they both release. Any clues?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-06-03, 06:29 AM   #2  
jimmymc
Check the latch with somthing that imitates the striker...like a round screwdriver.

Push the latch to the latched position with the tool.

Pull outward to determine if the latch is holding...if thats OK...the latch or striker has probably moved out of adjustment...most likely the latch has moved in or the sriker has moved out.

The striker doesn't go deep enough into the latch to engage the locking pawls.

jimmymc

Visiting Guest

11-06-03, 06:31 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Was it forcefully closed? Does it move freely when you try to move the latch?

Visiting Guest

11-07-03, 04:01 PM   #4  
paul rye
Thanks to both of you. I toke the inside panel off and removed the latch, 3 screws. 1 screw came out, 1 head broke off and 1 head stripped. I drilled out the stripped head and pulled the latch off. The broke screw I drilled out and the other I used vise grips on. The trouble was the latch up inside, that is connected to the outside handle. It was stuck. WD40 and a little help did it. Again, thanks
Paul

Search this Thread