Carb question

Old 11-05-03, 02:06 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Carb question

Left my little bike in Mexico, full of gas and will be going down next week. Gas stabilizer was not available. I'm afraid the jet in the carb may be gummed up, is there any magic in a bottle that will help clean it out?

Old 11-05-03, 04:08 PM
D
Pull the tank, drain the carbs, add new gas and hope for the best. It has worked for me. I don't think there are any magic bottles to fix the old gas though.

Old 11-05-03, 09:01 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it may or may not be clogged, some small carbs like that have the bowl drain plug right under the main jet. if it's a 'slide' type carb, you can unscrew the top and take out the throttle slide, then unscrew the bottom drain plug and try to spray through the main jet with any good carb cleaner, try to find a spray bottle with a straw on it, this way you can direct it right into the main jet (this works all the time on my dirtbike), then also try to spray into the idle circuit too and any other hole you can find.

what did you ever settle on to tow your camper?

Old 11-06-03, 05:57 AM
E
Mike, I'm looking at a Ford 250, 6.9 diesel with 142 ,000 miles, 2 wheel drive. It's out in Prescot, Az and I'll be looking at it next week. It's go the big rear 4.10 gears, c6, the whole A/C system has been done over and converted to r134, compressor, reciever drier, accumulator and vacuumed, 3 gauge pod,, water temp, oil pressure and exaust gas, all mechanical, new tires, a complete brake job, new shocks, 3inch free flow exaust, 2 batteries, k&n air filter, new injectors and injector pump, glow plugs, total new interior, stereo, all fluids changed, total suspension rebuilt, new starter and relay, high performance headlights, brake booster and a bunch of other little things. Body is straight and paint is weak. Spoke to him yesterday and he's a real person, wants a 4 wheel truck. says he spent over 6g in the last year and I believe it. Says it uses 1 quart of oil per 1000 miles. If I get this I will be selling my Buick and Van.
Check out http://tesoro.com/MS/index.html and give me your thoughts.

Old 11-06-03, 05:58 AM
E
By the way thanks for the carb advice. I appreciate it.

Old 11-06-03, 06:19 AM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
In my experience... gummy gas smells really bad.

jimmymc

Old 11-06-03, 06:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs down

Sure does. P.U. LOL

Old 11-06-03, 09:11 AM
E
OK Joe, what's your problem with pickups or is it just that it's not a GM or GMC?

Old 11-06-03, 09:33 AM
Not a bad truck but what's the price?

Old 11-06-03, 10:10 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
First, I was commenting on the stinky gas with the thumbs down. Didn't see your post about the Ford, but I'll give you my .02.

Half the "upgrades" he made are a waste of money and he's probably looking to recoup them in the price. K&N filter---waste of money.

Any vehicle that burns oil like that is trouble. You're on the borderline of having internal engine problems. I'd either skip it or shoot for getting it REAL cheap.

Secondly, Ford makes a good truck, but what's connected to the basic engine is crap and overcomplicated. This has always been Ford's downfall. Ideas are great on paper until you see them in the real world and then it ain't so great.

Thirdly, Ford doesn't make this engine, International does. So, you're in the league of heavy truck parts and their prices now. Ford slaps their part # on it, but it's IHC (now Navistar) sourced.

Give me a throttle body injected GM truck over one of these any day but that's just me.

You probably won't go wrong depending on the price. $1500 at best truck in my book. Considering it's from AZ (read dry), the body should be pretty mint .

Old 11-06-03, 10:22 AM
E
Guy's asking 3200 for the truck and from what I;ve heard burning 1 quart per 1000 miles is normal. Body is straight, not mint. Website is posted in my second post. Sorry thought you were comenting on the truck. sometimes you get very negative.

Old 11-06-03, 10:26 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Realistic yes, negative no. If the engine were so great, Ford would still be using it. And they aren't .

Old 11-06-03, 10:29 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
negative, no??????? (maybe there's a hacker using your screen name without you knowing it) every other post is negative

easywind, keep in mind, something that old is probably 'leaking' a quart in a thousand miles. diesels have no intake manifold vacuum, so it can't suck oil down the valve stem seals, a little can seep down the guides, but not that much. if the rings are burning that much, remember how a diesel ignites, it relies on compression alone, so it will probably be a bear to start cold and/or without starting fluid(ether) sprayed into it(which is bad).

keep an open mind when you see it.

Old 11-07-03, 04:51 AM
E
Mike, I spoke to a bunch of diesel guys and was assured that 1 quart per 1000 miles is well within specs. As I understand it Ford has problems with valve seals. i've kind of decided to try and pickup a pickup with a diesel.
Do you think I should just stay away? I appreciate your opinion.

Old 11-07-03, 07:04 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
As I said realistic. Not negative.

Mike: Trust me, those that know me know I'm far from negative. I simply tell it like it is, old friend.

$3200 is a lot for an old truck that burns oil. My friend paid half that and is driving a 250k+ 1990 GMC C1500 and it doesn't burn a drop. And it's in great shape for the age and is used every day.

It hauls everything we've asked it to and then some.

Old 11-07-03, 07:46 AM
E
Joe thans for the rely and when I say negative what I'm talking about is someone asks a question and you say well that things a piece of junk or something to that effect. I think most people know what they have and need answerrs.

Old 11-07-03, 09:13 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
EW:

Some folks will never realize they are putting a nickel into something that's worth a penny.

My vote is I work hard for my money and if I'm putting 50 cents into something worth a nickel and someone knows better, I'm all ears.

Junk is junk and will not change.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: