Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

97 Dodge Dakota

Visiting Guest

11-07-03, 06:28 AM   #1  
Dakota97
97 Dodge Dakota

My 97 Dodge Dakota is making a faint thumping noise when I'm driving, it becomes more apparent when I'm coming to a stop, and occasionally it seems to go away altogether. What can it be?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-07-03, 06:44 AM   #2  
Joe_F
A lot of things. Start with looking up some bulletins (if there are any) at alldata.com

Visiting Guest

11-07-03, 08:37 PM   #3  
mike from nj
does the noise change, start, or go away when hitting the brake pedal?

how long have the front tires been on the front?

4wd, 2wd?

Visiting Guest

11-08-03, 04:40 AM   #4  
Dakota97
Originally posted by mike from nj
does the noise change, start, or go away when hitting the brake pedal?

how long have the front tires been on the front?

4wd, 2wd?
The noise is very faint while driving, it increases (gets heavier) when I hit the brakes.

The tires have been on front for about 11 months.

Its a 2wd.

Visiting Guest

11-08-03, 09:45 PM   #5  
mike from nj
it could be a bunch of things, like a slight tire noise, as they should be rotated every other oil change or 6-7,000 miles, whichever comes first. this evens out the wear and keeps noise to a minimum.

if you have any noise when hitting the brake pedal, you pretty much narrowed it down to the brakes. they might not necessarily be bad, but they should be looked at by a knowledgable eye, whether that is you or not depends on your level of knowledge. there could be a simple rust ridge on the edge of the rotors, or there could be a broken half of a pad left, with it about to fall off, i wouldn't want to be in front of you when that happens.

there was an issue with the front wheel bearings (on 2wd ) making noises, but the ones i've seen were extremely noisy, and had no affect from the brake pedal.

fyi

Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 01:14 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Have you pulled off the wheel and had a look?

Search this Thread