car is dead again.

Old 11-07-03, 05:16 PM
Steelblade
Visiting Guest
Angry car is dead again.

1995 chevy caprice, V8, police model. It was having trouble with the speedometer flashing on and off, not a loss of power, but rather it was reading 0 while I was cruising down the highway. usually when it was wet outside. It is wet now, and it won't start. it ran fine tuesday, engine turns over, sometimes 'almost' catches, but stops again.

I killed the battery almost trying to start it, otherwise the battery is fine. new fuel filter, serpentine belt is tight, no slip that I can see. My friend thinks it's the oil pressure sensor, which I cannot find listed in my Haynes.

When this happened before, usually there is water somewhere on the engine. When I changed some radiator hoses, for example. I let is sit for a hour to dry off then it started fine.

Which sensor might it be if it's a sensor at all? And is it possible to hardwire around the whole elecronic ignition and put a good ole fashion distributor in it?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-03, 05:25 PM
You have Optispark and the dist is behind the water pump.Likely that you need a cap, rotor and wires.You will need very small torx bits to change it if the screws don't break that is.Are you losing fuel or spark?I'm betting spark.I don't now if it can be changed over but if you can't get parts free fix what you have.Btw thats the right way.

Old 11-07-03, 05:52 PM
Steelblade
Visiting Guest
I agree that it's probably spark. But from the DIst or is a sensor keeping it from working? I'll have to wait till Sunday to go looking for the dist. Got Navy Reserve tomorrow, but I will check it.

any other suggestions from anyone?

Thanks

Last edited by Steelblade; 11-07-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-08-03, 01:08 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

I'm with Davo. These LT1 V8's are known for bad Optisparks and leaking water pumps that wipe it out. Very common problem.

Old 11-14-03, 11:24 AM
Steelblade
Visiting Guest
The dist is getting spark. I did a spark test, after I had somewhat disassembled the engine. Putting it back together now. The water pump isn't showing any signs of excessive wear or damage, etc. Had the from plate off, not signs of rust in the radiator water, etc. No signs of leaks in teh back to drench the dist cap. It's something else.

My friend that rebuilds these keeps saying it's a oil pressure sensor, but it isn't listed in the Haynes and I can' t find it online, either. Can anyone here tell me where to look?

Old 11-14-03, 11:56 AM
It's not starting at all now? push and hold the gas pedal to the floor while you are cranking it.

Old 11-14-03, 12:00 PM
Steelblade
Visiting Guest
ALready tried that, car never was starting at all, that's the problem.

Last edited by Steelblade; 11-14-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 11-14-03, 01:47 PM
Steelblade
Visiting Guest
Great. I finish reassembling it, without actually DOING anything, and now it starts fairly normally. what's more, there's a bolt left. Either my life, or my car sucks. Not sure which.

There IS a rattle, and I don't trust it to keep running normally. Apparanltly the sensors will prevent the car from starting if they feel the car is in some kind of trouble. If the sensor goes out, then it still won't start. How do I find the bad sensor? Is it the oil pressure sensor being recommended, but can't actually find? Or another?

there is also a bit of a rattle under the hood. Not sure what it is.

Old 11-14-03, 02:15 PM
The oil pressure switch should be down near the oil filter screwed into the block.If you have spark, pour a little gas into the intake and see if it fires if it does we will know it's fuel related.