Repairing small rust areas

Old 11-07-03, 06:15 PM
Repairing small rust areas

Hi-

I have a '98 Olds Intrigue that is just starting to "bubble" a little bit under the fuel cap due to rust. The area in question is about 2" x 2". Is there a good website or link that I could go to that would show me step by step how to repair and re-paint that small rust area?

Assuming the rust area is nothing major (sand, fill, and repaint job) and I took the car to a body shop, how much would the above cost to fix? I'd like to know so that when I get an estimate I know I'm not getting ripped off.

Thanks,
Steve

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-03, 06:42 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
If the rust is bubbling from underneath or through the metal...it is a major repair.

Rust is a difficult repair.

A body shop would probably charge in $600-$800 range...but if it is not done right...it will be back in six months. Most shops in my area may work on it, some might even fix it. None will guarantee the repair.

jimmymc

Old 11-07-03, 07:07 PM
rust repair

I looked under the car and at other parts of the body that I could see using a flashlight but I can't find any other signs of rust. The small bubbling area doesn't even seem to be "rusted through" the body. Is it possible that this small area is the only area affected or is this little symptom typically an indication of a larger rust problem?

Thanks,
Steve

Old 11-07-03, 09:20 PM
fordguy
Visiting Guest
Take it to a body shop, let the professionals take care of it!
a job that small won't cost a fortune! after it's fixed get the car oil sprayed!

Old 11-08-03, 02:01 AM
jc55
Visiting Guest
Re: Repairing small rust areas

Originally posted by ualdriver
starting to "bubble" a little bit under the fuel cap due to rust. .
When you say under the fuel cap, do you mean behind the fuel door where it is not visible from the outside of the car? That would be easy to fix.
If not, I agree with jimmymc. The price is high if you have metallic paint(hard to blend). Not all body shops are proficient in actually "fixing" rust. It will always come back if not done properly.

Old 11-08-03, 06:01 AM
Thanks!

Thanks guys!

Old 11-08-03, 12:32 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Have it done professionally. Body work is an art and if you want it to look decent, it will take time and skill to get right.

Nothing looks worse than an otherwise nice car that's been fixed improperly or has bad body work.