Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1995 Saturn SL2 DOHC Starter replacement

Visiting Guest

11-08-03, 11:45 PM   #1  
ohm_boy
1995 Saturn SL2 DOHC Starter replacement

What's involved in the replacement of the starter on a 1995 Saturn SL2 Dual cam?
My neighbor's gave up on him (on Homecoming night). He's a good kid, and I'm gonna help him with it - I just want to know what we're up against.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 01:05 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Ohm:

I recognize you from somewhere? Jeff's forum?????

Not a bad job. Get a Saturn rebuilt, best value. The original is likely a Korean made Delco, the replacement, a French made Valeo (about half the size, but it's the right part). About 100 bucks for a new one from what I remember.

I did it on my mother's 1993 SL2. I believe the right wheel, splash shield comes out and after that, it's not bad to do.

Check autolibrary.org below for R&R instructions. Good luck and let us know.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 04:56 AM   #3  
ohm_boy
Thanks, Joe. Yep, you recall from Jeff's forum. I tend to bum around there sometimes.
I'll let you know how the repair goes - IF I get to do it.
Like I said, this guy is one of our neighborhood kids - one of the few who's been raised well, so he's well thought of by most of us and I'd like to help him out. His starter went out on his Homecoming date...ahhh, the character-building memories! His dad got him a vehicle swap that night, and might just bite the bullet and have the job done, but I volunteered to help the boy with it if he wanted to tackle it, since I have the jack, stands, tools, long-lost experience, etc.
I think it'd be good for him to do some work on his car, but if his dad doesn't agree or has doubts about either my or his son's abilities, then it won't happen, obviously. Either way, I'm sure it has already been an adventure for him!

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 05:34 AM   #4  
Joe_F
Nice to know there are good people who will lend a hand when you're in need.

Search this Thread