Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

choke

VA

11-09-03, 12:37 PM   #1  
choke

i have a 87 olds cutliss supreme v8 it had seemed like the choke was sticking a little when you started it but you could kick it off and it was ok,so later on i brought some carb choke cleaner and sprayed the carb and all around it good ,now when i start it after i done this it is 3x worse when i start it white smoke rolls out and the car shakes and sounds like it is loaded up , but after it gets warm it seems to be fine no smoke runs normal just fine HELP.thanks

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 12:40 PM   #2  
Joe_F
Bad/out of adjustment choke coil or choke pull off in all likelihood.

Pick up a good shop manual with adjustment and testing specs on that carburetor (any library) and follow the directions. Should straighten out after you put some time into it.

VA

11-09-03, 12:43 PM   #3  
thanks but i was wandering why it was worse after im sprayed it.

Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 12:45 PM   #4  
Joe_F
Because it's probably old and tired and need of a rebuild in all honesty.

Spraying cleaner inside it only succeeds in loading it up more. You can run a vehicle on carburetor cleaner . LOL

Try my earlier suggestions. Failing that, rebuild time.

VA

11-09-03, 12:48 PM   #5  
ok

ok thanks

VA

11-09-03, 01:07 PM   #6  
cost

sorry to bother you again my question is and knonw you can only roughly estimate my garage charges around 45 a hour,what would in a big ball park think they would charge to rebuild,the reason i ask is i can get my parts for cost and could it be cheaper for me to replace it thanks and i known you can only guess

11-09-03, 02:08 PM   #7  
On GM carbs of that era if you spray the outside of the carb in a certain area you dissolve a foam seal around the mixture control solenoid.The part that dissolves goes into the float bowl and causes many woes.The carb needs rebuilt,the time is about 3.5 to 4.0 depending on car model,I don't remember only did about 1000's of them,lol.If you buy an aftermarket carb you may do this job more than once.Yes Joe you can run on carb cleaner I use it as a testing device.Safer than pouring gasoline or spraying it.But not by much.

Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 03:26 PM   #8  
Joe_F
Original poster:

Electronic Q-jets of this era are a little daunting for the first timer. Most succeed in making them run worse than when they started. Good carburetor rebuilding is becoming a bit of a lost art.

Find a good shop that will go through it and set it up/adjust it properly. To do it RIGHT a couple of specialized tools are needed.

Do not buy an off the shelf rebuilt carburetor. Have this original one rebuilt, it's tailored for the car.

VA

11-11-03, 12:19 PM   #9  
choke

thanks guys it was the choke pulloff you covered that base only one more question what does the choke pulloff look like and could have i done this my self my garage fixed the pulloff thaks a lot.

11-11-03, 03:42 PM   #10  
Yes you could have done it,the adjusting may have taken a few tries though,glad it's fixed.

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-12-03, 10:31 PM   #11  
The choke pulloff is a diaphragm mounted on the rear of the carb on the passenger side. It has a vacuum line going to it and looks like a flattened can about as big around as a sliver dollar.

Glad you got it fixed! Easy repair.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

VA

11-16-03, 12:08 PM   #12  
choke

car is fine now only after choke is off and you put in gear and step on the gas it stalls but it starts right back up and takes off fine my question is there a ajustment on the pulloff that needs tuning or maybe somthing else thank you very much.

Visiting Guest

11-16-03, 07:46 PM   #13  
mike from nj
your pull-off shouldn't be affecting the warm idle, especially the stall when attempting to accelerate. for that, i would make sure the accelerator pump is working, and adjusted right. if it is, i would richen the idle mixture screws a hair, like 1/8-1/4 turn.

Search this Thread