Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

location of fuel pump '95 buick regal 3800 v-6

Visiting Guest

11-09-03, 09:35 PM   #1  
harold kimball
location of fuel pump '95 buick regal 3800 v-6

does anyone know the location of the fuel pump?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 03:36 AM   #2  
mikejmerritt
It is in the fuel tank. Not one of GM's most brilliant ideas....Mike

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 05:45 AM   #3  
Joe_F
Or Ford's, or Chrysler's, or Nissan's or Toyota's, etc, etc.

Most fuel injected cars have them in tank. Some have both an external line pump and an intermal pump. Early carbureted Cutlass Cieras had an electric pump (why is beyond me..lol).

Yes, not one of the brighter ideas, I agree with Mike.

Not too bad to replace if you know how to do it. What's the actual problem?

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 07:30 AM   #4  
harold kimball
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the info. I'll check it out when I have time - Hope I don't have to remove the tank to replace it.

harold

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 08:56 AM   #5  
Joe_F
Not that bad of a job if you do it right. Verify it is the problem first.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 09:43 PM   #6  
harold kimball
hi joe -

my actual problem is:

sometimes will not start without pressing gas pedal(probably 10 -20 percent of the time). for the life of me cannot associate it with anything to do with weather conditions. on the occasions where i have to press the gas pedal to start it, it will idle down to stall if i don't keep some pressure on the gas pedal, at least to keep it at or above 500 rpms. almost in every case, after driving normal speeds for a few miles the idle stays around 1000rpms and seems to do fine. also, when i rev the engine 3000+ rpms engine will start missing. just though it was a rev limiter or something.

when the problem first started, i did some simple things like add gas treatment to clean fuel injectors, changed the gas filter and spark plugs. none of which seemed to help.

i plan to take the air filter out & clean from there to the throttle opening tues morning.

thanks again for your time,
harold

Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 06:32 AM   #7  
Joe_F
As I said, start with the basics. Fuel pressure and spark are the first two things to verify.....

Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 05:49 PM   #8  
mike from nj
based on your description alone, the problem isn't with the fuel pump.

i'd start just like your doing, clean inside the throttle body area and the Idle Air Control motor, make sure it is free to move and do it's job of letting metered air into the engine and for a smooth idle.

pay particular attention to the edges of the blade and the spot where it meets the aluminum body

Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 06:07 PM   #9  
harold kimball
hi mike from nj -

thanks for the info - sounds good!

i did find something this morn (tues 11/11). one of the connectors near the air intake plumbing seemed to be loose. it has like a blue pastic seal that seats when the plug is fully snapped in. i'm hoping that has been my problem all along and not fuel related such as a bad performing fuel pump.

Joe_f's comments (he has been a great help also) lead me to believe it's time to replace the ign wires. i haven't mentioned before, but should have, the regal has 130,000 mi on it with original ign wires.

thanks again,

harold

Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 06:39 PM   #10  
mike from nj
i was told by a GM guy once, that high mileage plug wires cause the ignition coils to run hotter than normal, and subsequently take out the ignition module underneath it.

i would think it's time for wires now anyhow(for maintenance), but don't expect them to fix your current problem.

the IAC motor i spoke of should be held into the side of the throttle body with 2 torx screws, this pintle type air valve usually seizes up from carbon buildup, if it's froze and can't move, it might be your described problem.

i could be wrong, i don't work on these daily.

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 03:37 PM   #11  
harold kimball
Hi mike from nj -

thanks for the ideas!
Will do further cleaning in the air induction areas and lube. plan to change out ign wires this weekend along with new air cleaner.
am pretty sure the ign coil & module are in decent shape for now.
as i mentioned before in a prev msg, i found a connector really loose in the air intake area and snapped it back in place. for now, car seems to be doing just fine. starts with a small rev to approx. 1400- 1500 rpms and drops back to approx. 800 -900 rpms.
it has been a real puzzle for the past year, sometimes starting and idling normally, and other times, stalling for the first 2 - 5 mi of driving.

will keep you informed.
harold

11-12-03, 03:45 PM   #12  
Sounds like the intake air temp sensor wasn't plugged in.

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 06:40 PM   #13  
harold kimball
hi davo -

car still doing fine so far. looks as if the air intake sensor was the culprit. it was plugged in a little, but not seated fully, thus not making a good connection.
this problem started just after a gm dealer worked on a very persistant oil leak several times for me. this last time i took it in, the delaer replaced the oil pan gasket for me at no charge. i had previously spent about $800 with them on these leaks. i was embarrased to take it back at the time for the starting / idling problem, thinking that i could fix it myself.
anyway, i will continue to do some things to improve the running of the car. in the morning i plan to replace the ign wires.

thanks for your input!
harold

Search this Thread