Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

2000 Grand Am

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 09:04 AM   #1  
lhorn
2000 Grand Am

What are the purposes of struts and how would I know if I need new ones?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 10:13 AM   #2  
darrell McCoy
basically they are your shocks. If any leak or you have a lot of bounce/rebound they are probably bad/weak. A 2000 model? Unless it has an enormous amount of miles, or has really been beat, barring leakers they shouldnt be that bad. They most likely are gas charged. Seen some run well over 50-60 thousand miles with no problems.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 10:22 AM   #3  
Joe_F
As Darrell stated, they do what shock absorbers used to do before there were struts .

Bad ones cause bouncing, shaking, tire wear and other problems. If they leak visibly or when you bounce up and down on the car and it bounces 2 or 3 times on its own before returning to rest, they are wasted and have to be changed.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 11:41 AM   #4  
lhorn
I have a smooth ride. My car rattles when I travel slow speeds and turn corners if the road is bumpy. The sound reminds me of the Tin man in the Wizard of Oz needing oil.
I only have 40,000 miles. And I have no idea how the shocks would leak. Leak liquid?

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 12:03 PM   #5  
darrell McCoy
You would notice an oil film where the piston enters the cylinder. Rattles? Well lot of newer veh have some as there is a lot of plastic, some rattles are from the inner fender shields. Front and back. They are not attached as well as the older metalic ones.
Ha, go down a slightly washboard road and listen. Lightly tape them with a rubber mallet and you will see what I mean. Lots of new cars just dont seem to like any road other than the super slab. Some only clear about 5" anyhow. Air damns are first to go usually.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 12:33 PM   #6  
Joe_F
Sounds like a good time to bring it to a good suspension shop or GM dealer and have them give it a once over.

Visiting Guest

11-10-03, 01:38 PM   #7  
darrell McCoy
You may want to have the lower ball joints checked, plus lower control arm bushings. Seen them replace a few of those while still under warranty. As I recall, I dont think these ball joints have any means for lubrication. Am thinking both parts have to be replaced as a unit.

Search this Thread