Chrysler Concorde Subframe Bushing Woes

Old 11-10-03, 05:25 PM
Chrysler Concorde Subframe Bushing Woes

Got a question for the Mopar techs out there. I currently have a 1996 Concorde in my shop for a subframe bushing replacement, and boy are they wasted ! Anyway I easily knocked out the two at the rear of the subframe, but the nuts are spinning inside the frame at the front half on both sides and the nuts won't accomodate a wrench or locking pliers due to design and the tight working space. Do you guys have a fix for this problem so I can get the remaining bushings done and the car out the door ?

Thanks in advance !

Larry

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-03, 07:23 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
i can only remember this happening once, but it was at the rear ones(and i can't remember exactly what he did) i sorta remember a lot of penetrating oil getting sprayed, and even trying to tighten the bolts a little(with the gun, of course) and maybe half of a channel-lock jaw fitting in the slot to hold the nut.

did the bolt loosen for a few turns and then tighten up(which broke the tab off the nut) or was it always tight, never spun at all(the bolt to the nut)---just spins the nut from the start. if it loosened for 2-5 turns and then tightened up, you're never getting it out, the nut and bolt seized together from the rust/dirt buildup above the nut and is now in the middle of the nut, for that, i would try a sawzall and order a new nut and bolt.

if you need room, the fascia comes off relatively easy, and the radiator/condensor assembly can be propped up a few inches without having to disconnect anything(other than the fan connector)try laying a 2X4 to hold it up.

let us know how it turns out

(i'll look at one tomorrow and see if any ideas come to mind)(if it's not fixed by then)

Old 11-11-03, 06:45 AM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Sounds like Mike has you covered.

Sound much like subframe bolts on an old Trans Am like mine. A lot of folks get the air gun in there, go ape and it breaks the cage nut off of the end sending the bolt spinning around in there. LOL.

Did you bust it loose with an air gun or hand tools?

Last edited by twelvepole; 01-05-04 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 03:40 PM
Thanks guys. We ended up clearing away any components that we didn't want barbequed and heated the nuts up with the torch. The bolts spun right out after that. All is well at this point.

Also, I did get the 1/2 impact after it from the get go although I loosened one side with a breaker bar first. Maybe not the best way to go on these, huh ?

Search this Thread