Starting Problem

Old 11-11-03, 12:04 PM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Starting Problem

Hi I have a 1995 Chrysler Cirrus 6cyl 2.5liter engine.I had to replace the "Valve Timing belt Idler pulley",As you know you have to remove everything in front of it ,including the timing belt! BeforeI had removed the timing belt I made sure the marks on the cams and the main drive gear were set!! I replaced part and put everything back.all the car does now is turn over but will not start!! What would you suggest,advice,or say in this case!!

Any and all help is appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time and help!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-03, 12:10 PM
Joe_F
Visiting Guest
Does it have spark?

Old 11-11-03, 12:25 PM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
starting problem

How can I check to see if it has spark?

Old 11-11-03, 03:35 PM
Did it run prior to the repair or did it quit on the road(broken belt),what led to the timing belt replacement?

Old 11-11-03, 05:35 PM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
Starting Problem

Hey Davo! Thanks for your reply! Yes it ran prior to repair! but quit at home in drive way it wouldn't start again! So I went to looking around and took off the timeing belt cover closest too the radiator and thats when I notice that the Valve timing belt Idler pully was bad!!!! So I replaced it.The timing belt was fine I never replaced it.
So now it cranks but will not start!!!?????

Help!!!!
Could use any help!!!

Thanks

Old 11-11-03, 06:47 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
your last description isn't too clear, it ran, then died in the driveway.

how did it die?

why would you not replace the belt at this age when you already had it off?

double and triple check all connectors, make sure each one is plugged in. try giving the gas pedal a light push while you're cranking it, the idle memory might be lost.

Old 11-12-03, 12:35 AM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike for your response!
What I meant was that the car wouldn't start the next day I went out to start it. It would just turn over.
I had just replaced the timing belt about two years ago and it looked fine when I went to replace the Idler pulley.

Could use all the advice I could get!!

Thanks for your time!!

Old 11-12-03, 07:10 AM
timing belts

are usually replaced at certain mileage intervals and NOT based on how they look. at two years old replacing it would be good insurance. As for it wouldn't start the next day and you discovered the pullet was bad, i don't get the connection there. it was running when you parked it with a bad pulley. What makes the pulley bad...are you by chance talking about the idler pulley on the serpentine belt here? what does it sound like when it cranks? perhaps spring pressure on one of the cams caused it to turn and you didn't notice when you reinstalled the belt...it's happened to the best of us. you need a spark tester, available at any parts store, to test for spark. can you hear the fuel pump run?answering some or all of these questions will give us a better chance at helping you sort this thing out...good luck!

Old 11-12-03, 11:35 AM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
I was experiening a bad raddling noise the day before it wouldn't start anymore and after looking around I notice that the "valve timing belt Idler pully",thats just below the upper rt cam(if your in front of the engine).
Its not the idler pulley that the serpentine belt runs on but the pulley that the timing belt runs on. So I replaced it(pulley)!
Yes I do hear the fuel pump when I turn the ignition.
It maybe possible that upon replacing the timing belt back the cams and gear may have shift over a bit from the marks! or is it?
Should I tear it down again and try to reset the cams and gear on mark? or is there an alternative?

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-12-03, 11:53 AM
timing belts

without knowing what it looks like in my mind's eye, i can't say check this or that...the bottom line here is that it ran when you parked it and now it doesn't so you may have caused the no start. Be sure to double check any and all connectors that you took apart...do it step by step, very methodically as if you are replaying the whole procedure in your head. yes...it's possible that things moved and are now not indexed properly which could be bad since that's an interference engine. always turn the crankshaft two revolutions and see if the timing marks line back up properly and make sure the belt is tensioned properly before reassembling. again...does it sound normal when it cranks? if it doesn't, then something's amiss with the timing belt. if it sounds ok, it's probably ok to check for spark and listen to see if the fuel pump runs. if both of those things are ok...i'd have it back apart for a good look see.

Old 11-12-03, 02:13 PM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
It ran when I parked it that evening.But it wouldn't start the next morning! So thats when I went to loking under the hood.

Could you or anyone tell me why would there be oil all over a spark plug that you pull off your engine? I went to look at the spark plugs and the first two I had pulled, had oil all over them!

No clue?

Please Help!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for your time!!

Old 11-12-03, 02:52 PM
If the oil is on the outside of the plugs it's probably valve cover gaskets.I think you need to recheck your timing belt to make sure it's on right.

Old 11-12-03, 08:07 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
yes, it's not uncommon to have a valve cover gasket, specifically a 'spark plug tube seal' leak onto the top of a plug, at the worst, it will cause a misfire, depending on how bad the leak is. you will need to remove the plenum to get to the back ones. that is an easier job than doing a timing belt, and if you're close or over 100,000 miles, i would highly recommend new plugs AND wires(factory ones too) as it doesn't take much to overheat the ignition coil and leave you stranded, and it (the coil) only comes with a whole new distributor and it's not cheap either.

my theory: the belt jumped before you got your hands on it, due to the worn idler bearing. two things could have happened then. 1. it bent the valves and it will not start until that is fixed. 2. you made your own timing alignment marks, going off of the jumped belt, and you reassembled it with those incorrect marks, which is keeping it from starting now.

so, 1. you need to do a compression test--or 2. you need to align it from the 'factory' marks, and cross your fingers that it didn't hurt anything.

if you did indeed go by the factory marks and turn it twice to verify that they were still lined up, and you're positive that those marks are still lined up, then you need to do a compression test on at least the front three cylinders.

see where that gets you

Old 11-13-03, 12:35 AM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
Thanks Mike for your help! i will try those things.

I went bye the marks on the gears and the marks on the back side of the timing belt cover and lined those up,but I didn't turn it twice to check if they stay on the marks!When I turn it I should just turn the ignition right?

Thanks again!!

Old 11-13-03, 04:39 AM
turning it...

...do it by hand...put a socket on the crank bolt and turn it over exactly two turns and everything should come back to the original marks if all is well

Old 11-13-03, 11:26 AM
Rc4b
Visiting Guest
Thank you I will try that!!!!!!!!!

will get back with results!!

Thanks again!!!!!!!