Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Quick fix for old valve stem seals???

Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 12:54 PM   #1  
jsflynnnh
Quick fix for old valve stem seals???

Hi..

Scabby 'ol Mazda B2200 pickup truck, 1989, 170,000 miles. This vechicle is scheduled for retirement this summer, after I graduate with a nursing degree, and start making some real money...read, no money at the moment to spare.

When I start it up it the morning, it smokes (sometimes quite terribly) for a minute to four minutes, then stops. I know that the #4 cylinder is known for sticky rings that add to smoke, but I suspect that the valve stem seals are dried out...

Question: Are those seals rubber? And if so, will a "stop leak" which swells rubber help, even if only for the next six months?

Second Question? Is this by any chance an easy (read do it yourself) fix, or do I have to pull the camshaft, etc?)

Thanks for the suggestions:

Steve

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-11-03, 02:06 PM   #2  
For the short period you're going to have before "retirement" I don't think I would bother. Just drive it. The mechanic-in-a-car won't help and it's not really d-i-y unless you're fairly handy around cars/tools.

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 06:55 AM   #3  
jsflynnnh
Thanks...I just hope that, as it almost already has, that someone doesn't call the fire department thinking that the car is on fire...lol...

Search this Thread