Clutch Slipping or Transmission problem?

Old 11-11-03, 04:45 PM
Unhappy Clutch Slipping or Transmission problem?

Late last spring I had the clutch replaced on my 91 colt. It is a 5 speed manual transmission and I had almost no play left in the pedal. So we replaced the clutch and it worked fine.

About a month or so ago, I noticed that there seemed to be some slipping when in 5th gear, but it wasn't clear. So I have continued to drive it.

The slipping is now worsening. Today there was slippage in all gears, though worst in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. It is slipping a lot!

Unfortunately, I don't have a clue as to what to think about with this problem. Is it a clutch problem? Does it just need adjustment? Could it be a transmission problem? Do I just need to adjust the play in the clutch pedal?

What should I be looking for? Am I in trouble with this car?

Thanks so much, you guys, for all the help I have gotten from you. This board is the greatest!

Ian K

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-03, 05:35 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
first thing to do is to adjust the cable, and stop driving it while it's slipping, that alone will very quickly ruin the new clutch if it hasn't already.

the adjustment is the nut on the cable on the other side of the firewall, pull the cable out one inch from the grommet in the firewall and back off the nut slightly until you have one inch of free play in the pedal

ask more if you don't understand

Old 11-13-03, 03:12 AM
I looked at the firewall and couldn't see a cable. But there is an adjusting rod and nut on the pedal. Is that the same adulstment, or does it have to be done behind the firewall?

thanks,
ik

Old 11-13-03, 06:06 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
procedure is outlined on Auto Library.

Old 11-13-03, 07:29 AM
Where would i find Auto Library?

Old 11-13-03, 11:13 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/cgi-win...kupResults.exe

Well that didnt hi-lite so cut and paste.

Old 11-13-03, 11:48 AM
That link didn't work. Gave me a "missing vin number" error. Is this a pay service that I can't contact on my own?

Old 11-13-03, 12:06 PM
OK. I found the manual on my library database. Looks like there are 2 adjustments: Clutch pedal height and Free-Play. I don't see how these would necessarily affect slipping, though.

Old 11-13-03, 12:51 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
You have to have the specified free play else it will slip.
I have adjusted so many I just go by feel myself. I think that adjustment page covers both mechanical and hydraulic clutch adjustments. Check also and see if there is a good amount of oil leaking from the bell housing, perhaps you have a rear main seal leaking oil onto the clutch.

Old 11-13-03, 01:36 PM
I saw the picture in the manual, and then looked at the car. All I see is a rubber thing over the firewall from which the cable comes out. I don't have a clue what to do to adjust it. There is nothing to turn. there is what looks like a little nipple sticking out, but when i push on that, there is nothing in there.

Sigh...I am a novice when it comes to this!

Old 11-13-03, 02:57 PM
Buy a Chilton's or Haynes (my preference) manual at your local auto parts store. It will help a lot.

Ross

Old 11-13-03, 04:12 PM
does your tranny leak???

I blew a front seal on my mustang tranny, and it soaked the clutch with transmission oil, causing the clutch to slip.

Barring that, it is likely your adjustment. However, if you have driven too much on an improperly adjusted clutch, it may already be too late.

Old 11-13-03, 05:08 PM
Yipes! How do I know if it is too late? Should i have it towed to a garage? I just had the clutch put in last spring!

Old 11-13-03, 07:05 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
from underhood, did you try pulling on the cable----out of the firewall?

under that rubber boot should be an adjuster nut on the cable, you want to shorten the length of the cable, by backing off the nut. start with 1-2 turns, then feel the pedal inside the car for 1 inch of free play

let us know

Old 11-14-03, 07:06 AM
Smile

OK, guys. That last bit helped a lot. After understanding what I needed to do (add play so the clutch can be fulled engaged and the master (slave?) cylinder fully at rest, I went to have a look.

I boldly pulled the rubber seal away from the firepanel and there was no adjusting nut! Uhoh. It was the speedometer cable! I looked further and, knowing what to look for, discovered that the adjustment I needed was to back out an adjusting rod that is attached to the clutch pedal. I did the adjustment, drove the car, and it works great!

thanks a lot for the comments and the help. I really appreciate this board.

Ian K