Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1992 Caprice brake bleeding question

11-11-03, 06:49 PM   #1  
1992 Caprice brake bleeding question

I'm fixing the brakes on a 1992 Chevy Caprice former police car with the 350
engine (TBI... )

I thought it was going to be a simple single brake line replacment.

The brake line running to the back brakes ruptured. I hauled it to my house with a car trailer, and a front brake line blew while in my driveway!

So the owner has decided that all of the brake line should be replaced, and
I agree. My problem is the abs pump. Pretty much all the lines running to
and from the pump need to be replaced. Is it dificult to bleed the abs pump?
Does it require special tools or equipment?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-11-03, 07:46 PM   #2  
crt8
bleeding brakes

Jason R,bleeding the modulator valve(abs valve) is no harder than
bleeding the rest of the system.Although it can be time consuming,if you can rent or borrow a pressure bleeder it will make the job alot easier.

VA

11-12-03, 06:55 AM   #3  
unfortunately...

...sometimes getting alot of air out of the brake modulator CAN be difficult and is usually helped by performing a function test with a Tech-1...or any scan tool that has that particular capability. you may have to do the best you can bleeding after the line replacement (no small task, i might add) and then take it to someone that can perform the function test and final bleeding.

11-12-03, 07:40 AM   #4  
Thank you very much for the help.

I think the pump is in a pretty accessable place (as compared to my '94 caravan).

I also realized something while thinking about this system. The rear brakes are run off of one single brake line (which is split on top of the differential housing). I thought that cars with abs all have separate lines for all 3 wheels.

So if one back tire locks up, tha abs system releases both rear brakes? Hopefully, after further investaigation, I don't find the front brakes to be of the same design. Hopefully they each have their own brake line running from the abs module.

Thanks a million!

VA

11-12-03, 07:46 AM   #5  
about that abs...

jason...accessibility isn't the issue with those BPMV's...they are just sometimes a pain to get the air out of...if after doing the repair and then bleeding you still have travel or sponginess issues, take it somewhere and have that procedure i referred to earlier performed. as for the design, abs systems can be either 3 channel or 4 channel where the rear wheels are controlled together in the 3 channel or independantly in the 4 channel...remember...the purpose of abs is to help maintain vehicle directional control during panic stops

Search this Thread