Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Electrical Problem?

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 01:09 AM   #1  
Kirkwa
Electrical Problem?

I have a 1993 Thunder Bird coupe and I am having a problem with the accessory lights. The overhead dome, back seat, front floor, the front door panel, and the door key lights stay on all the time now.

As I understand it here’s how they work normally. When I lift the door handle to enter the car, the accessory lights inside the car come on. When I start the car they go off. When I park and exit the car, these lights come on as well. When I close and lock the door, the lights stay on via some type of timer/dimmer and then turn off after a few seconds.

Again here’s my problem, now they stay on all the time and drain my battery. Can you tell me what maybe causing this problem and how I can fix it?

Thanks Kirkwa

Sponsored Links

11-12-03, 04:29 AM   #2  
Sounds like a door switch is stuck? Lube all door latches with WD40 . The switches are in the bottom of the latches.

Fix It Right The First Time!

Forum Topic Moderator

GA

11-12-03, 10:27 PM   #3  
Maybe a dumb question, but I gotta ask: Any chance that they got turned on? Usually the instrument panel light dimmer rotates fully to the brightest setting to turn on all interior lights. They won't go off until they are turned off if this is the case. It could be a stuck relay as well, or a door switch problem as mentioned.

"Who is John Galt?" - Ayn Rand (Atlas Shrugged)

God bless!

11-14-03, 04:20 PM   #4  
There may also be a module/timer in the mix here. Getting a schematic would be the smartest way to approach it.

Visiting Guest

11-20-03, 03:45 AM   #5  
Kirkwa
Electrical Problem?

Thanks all, great feed back, I well look into all your suggestions. Any Idea where I would get a schematic for this car?

Thanks Kirkwa

11-20-03, 04:04 AM   #6  
Go to your local FORD DEALER and ask one of the TECH'S nicely if they will help you out. Ask to buy them lunch for the copy,that means alot to them. And they probably won't take you up on it?
The wiring book is called a EVTM = Electrical-Vacuum-Trouble Shooting-Manual

Fix it Right the First Time! = FORD

Search this Thread