Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

broken door handle

IN

11-12-03, 05:01 AM   #1  
broken door handle

hi

i have a 94 olds cutlass supreme.

the door handle broke at the hinge. the metal (i don't know what kind of metal it is) snapped in two. so now, the handle moves but the doesn't engage the lock and does not open the car. i have to enter through the passenger's side.

what is the easiest way to fix this problem. go to a junkyard? weld the break? go to the dealer and get the part. Is it easy to replace the whole assembly?

thanks

Sponsored Links

VA

11-12-03, 06:38 AM   #2  
outside door handle?

door handles breaking on GM vehicles is common. Assuming you mean the outside handle AND assuming you have a coupe (two door) the handle mounts at the frame of the back edge of the door. If it's a sedan, the procedure is different...in any case, go to the dealer and buy a new one, they'll stock it most likely...on the 2 door version, remove the trim and access the mounting screws and remove the nuts, then disconnect the linkage rod by flipping the little clip and sliding the rod out of the broken metal of the handle. reverse procedures for installation and don't mess with the length of the linkage rod, it's adjustable but shouldn't need it. as for the 4 door, you'll have to remove the door trim pad on the inside of the door and follow a similar disconnect and install format. good luck...

IN

11-12-03, 07:01 AM   #3  
thanks

i'll try it.

the only thing is: my mechanic priced the replacement at the dealer and it was pretty expensive so i think i was hoping there was an alternative.

thanks again

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 07:35 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
robert: Ya dont have but 2 choices here, new or MAYBE you can find one at a salvage place, but thinks you have to find the color also figure time and labor if you have to wrench it yourself. Cant weld it. Dont know if its worth the hassle or not. I'd go with a dealer item.

IN

11-12-03, 09:21 AM   #5  
thanks again for the advice.

TX

11-12-03, 02:00 PM   #6  
Broken

Since you have a 94 you might try a wrecking yard that way you can take it out and see how it comes apart.The plus side of this is not only the cost but if you tear something up no loss.The handle is more then likley pot metal and can not be repaired by welding.

IN

11-23-03, 12:07 PM   #7  
what do i do now that i have messed up?

hi

I bought the new replacement part for $136. Not cheap.

I put it in (in the complete dark) and everything went well except that I broke a small peice of outside trim. But I was happy I was able to fix the door and open it from the outside.

Then, the terrible thing happened: The next day after about 20 times of testing the handle, it stopped working. It also won't open from the inside.

I think the linkage fell out of the push rod which opens the door and now I don't know WHAT to do! I can't open it with use of the outside or the inside handle. I spent about an hour trying to find ways into the lock from the inside but I can't find a way.

Any ideas otherwise I spent a lot of money only to make things worse.

thanks

WV

11-23-03, 03:19 PM   #8  
Do you have the door panel off? If not you are in for a world of headaches. Try to wedge the door skin back a bit and try to use a hanger or a lock out tool to actuate the door latch. Unfortunately, if all else fails you may have to take it to someone to get it fixed.
Good Luck with it.
Billy

$136.00 sounds like an awful lot for a crappy little door handle on a 10 year old car!!!

11-23-03, 03:45 PM   #9  
Sometimes it helps if you have one of those lights on the end of a fexible holder. The name that comes to mind is Bend-a-light.

With this you can put the light inside the cavity of the door and it makes it much easier to see.

A poor mans version is to take a small automotive 12v bulb and socket with wires and drop that down the door. Just be careful and put a fuse where you hook it up( car batt or jumper box batt)

IN

11-24-03, 05:20 AM   #10  
Good News!

I poked around a bit with a coat hanger after prying a little crack in the cover and i guess i did something right....the door opened and closed using both the inside and outside handle.

i wonder if by poking around, did i force the linkeage back together again. either way, i am happy it is working now and at the first opportunity i am going to pull it apart and see what is up.

i was starting to think about drilling some access holes before it started working again.

thanks for your advice.

Search this Thread