Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1991 Buick Park Ave starter replacement

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 05:46 AM   #1  
pic1
1991 Buick Park Ave starter replacement

Can anyone tell me where the starter is located on this car and some basic steps as to how to replace it? I have some basic mechanical skills but have not tackled a starter before. Is this too complicated? Would also appreciate any links to do-it-yourself manuals or photos for this repair.

Thank you

Sponsored Links

VA

11-12-03, 06:24 AM   #2  
starter job

the starter on that v-6 is located on the left side bottom of the engine block. the side of the engine is always determined from the driver's seat position so it will be at the front of the car. be sure to disconnect the battery, negative cable first and then you'll have to get underneath the vehicle and see what's there as far as plastic dust shields and possibly a mounting bracket at the armature end of the starter. once "stuff" is out of the way, you can disconnect the wiring and then remove the 2 bolts that attach the starter to the engine block. don't let it hang by wires and be careful when you take the last bolt out that it doesn't fall out and hurt you. as far as pointers and tips...try looking at the resources indicated in Joe's signature...lots of good stuff there. this isn't a major deal, just take your time and be careful...good luck!

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 06:39 AM   #3  
pic1
thank you!!!

Thanks for the great tips and quick reply. I will folow your advice.

Search this Thread