Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Auto Repair

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 04:33 PM   #1  
JHarv45
Auto Repair

I have a 1996 Chrystler Town & Country Mini Van, and my Starter just went out on me, I need to locate and replace it, can someone help me, locate it and instruct me how to replace it

Sponsored Links

11-12-03, 05:59 PM   #2  
usually located on the left side of the engine or the side facing the front of the vehicle. you will need to get underneath the van to change so you should jack up the vehicle and support with jack stands, disconnect battery, 2 starter bolts size 15 mm go through transmision bell housing and thread into starter and one bolt attaching battery cable usually 13 mm.
check the link below for more info.
http://doityourself.com/to/cybrrparts.htm

Visiting Guest

11-12-03, 10:49 PM   #3  
JHarv45
Auto Repair

The Link you provided me does not have the Model & Engine size of my vehicle, My van is a 3.3L Town & Country

11-13-03, 05:13 AM   #4  
try typing in caravan or voyager as they are all virtually the same minivan using the same engine and body.

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 09:37 AM   #5  
JHarv45
Auto Repair

Thank you very much, but are there any better pictures, I'm still not sure where the starter is located, by the pictures provided

11-13-03, 10:27 AM   #6  
Follow the positive battery cable and you will find it,it connects to the starter.

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 10:39 AM   #7  
JHarv45
Thank you very much Sir, that was very helpful to me, I think I now may be able to replace my starter, one last question though, would this be considered a easy enough job for a novice do it yourself mechanic to perform?

Visiting Guest

11-13-03, 07:28 PM   #8  
mike from nj
it sure is easy enough, the hardest part will be getting it on the ramps. 99% of the bad starters i've replaced, can be started at least once more. try to start the car repeatedly, it could take 40-50 key turns until it finally spins the engine. then just drive it up the ramps, set the brake, trans in park, and block the wheels with wood.

you'll need a 15mm wrench, and a 13mm socket, a deep one preferred.

BJ said it perfectly, unplug the battery negative terminal(black one) unclip the small wire on the starter, loosen the 13mm nut holding the wire with the (deep) socket (a 1/2 inch socket can be used in a pinch), wrench the two 15mm bolts out and the starter will fall out-literally.

the installation is the reverse, however, there is a small shield that goes between the starter and it's mounting place. look closely at it and you will see "UP" stamped on it with an arrow. this eliminates all confusion of how it goes back in. hold that small shield against the trans with one hand, then slip the starter in with your other hand. now while holding the starter in (fully seated) start both mounting bolts with your free fingers, then tighten. two wires and the battery connection and you're done!

providing that was the actual problem. i've done quite a few starters, and rarely other things.

let us know if this fixes it or maybe even decribe your problem before replacing it.

Search this Thread