Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Coolant leaking from engine block

GA

11-13-03, 06:09 AM   #1  
Coolant leaking from engine block

90 Geo Tracker 134K

I have coolant leaking badly. I've looked and it is not coming from a hose. It seems to be spilling out above the oil pan. The book doesn't have much to say about the coolant system. Could there be coolant leaking from the engine block? Is there a quick fix to this?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-13-03, 09:11 AM   #2  
Likely going to be as freeze plug, which are round metal disks about 1-2" in diameter that plug the casting holes in the block. Very easy repair IF the leaking plug is one of the ones that is easy to get to. Best done on a lift where you can get full access and viewing.

11-13-03, 09:47 AM   #3  
It sounds like tow guy may be right. Take a good look and see if that is what it is. If so you can punch a hole in the center and try prying it out. Sometimes you have to use a punch and drive one side in so it turns 90 degrees, then you can grab the part that will be sticking out of the block with channel locks or vice grips and pull it out.

If you have room to drive a new one in, clean and dry the hole and use some sealer. You must drive it straight in or it will probably leak. Do not drive it in to far.

If you can't get to it to drive one in you can buy the rubber expandable type. Do not use sealant with these. Just put them in untill the big washer hits the block and tighten the nut untill it is good and snug but do not over tighten.

If the old one rusted through others may start leaking also because of sediment and rust in the cooling system. The plugs at the lower part of the engine go first. Give the system a good flush & new coolant to prolong the life of the other plugs.

11-13-03, 10:39 AM   #4  
If you do not have the room to install an OEM freeze plug, you can buy another style at most auto supplies. I don't know the official name of the part, however it is a copper expandable plug that you use tighten into place via a bolt and nut passing thru the center, much like a rubber expandable plug. These metal expandable freeze plugs are designed primarily for those repairs where there is no room to hammer in a OEM freeze plug.

I am not certain, but I think these expandable plugs also come in steel as well as copper. In fact, I think the copper ones are used alot by boat owners that want to drain their motors every winter, but that scenario is more or less hear-say as far as I know. I'm not a boat owner.

The important thing to remember is that they are stocked at auto supply stores, but you have to ask for them since they are stored in the back of the store where you would never see them.

GA

11-14-03, 07:00 AM   #5  
Thanks guys. I looked and the leak is either on the passenger side of the engine or directly in the middle...I'm thinking its just leaking down then dripping from the middle of the oil pan. I removed the alternator (the side fluid is leaking) & it seems to be a rubber (its not metal) piece about 3/4" long and 1/8" wide. If i put my finger on it, there is fluid. Is this a freeze plug? You can't see it, b/c it's under the fan mount, but it feels like I could get it w/ needle noses. Is this my plug tho?

Visiting Guest

11-14-03, 08:18 AM   #6  
PNUT883
NOT AN EXPERT BUT IF IT HAVE YOU CHECKED THE WATER PUMP COULD IT BE RUNNING DOWN FROM IT. OTHER WISE IF IT IS A SMALL LEAK YOU MAY TRY ONE STOP LEAKS AVAIL. I KNOW THAT THE BARS LEAK WORKS REALLY WELL IF YOU FOLLOW ALL OF THE DIRECTIONS( FOUND ON SIDE OF CAN OR BOTTLE). SKIPPING ONLY ONE STEP CAN LEAD TO FAILURE IT MAY TAKE LETTING IT SIT OVERNIGHT BUT IF YOU CAN FIX IT FOR THE PRICE OF FLUSH AND STOP LEAK YOU MAY BE AHEAD OF THE GAME BUT IF IT IS THE WATER PUMP REPLACE. HOPE THIS MAY HELP

Search this Thread