battery draw

Old 11-13-03, 10:23 PM
Matt Barcellona
Visiting Guest
battery draw

Something is drawing juice from the battery.I installed a new battery and still,when it sits for a few days it dies.How do I find the problem?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-03, 10:42 PM
What kind of vehicle are we talking about? It could be a bunch of things do you have a meter or test light?

Old 11-13-03, 10:54 PM
Matt Barcellona
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up battery

WeldGod , It is a 85 Riviera. I have a a meter,this car has every gadget.I already had to hook up a switch to stop the ELC from going on and off all night(slight leak in the lines somewhere)

Old 11-14-03, 05:34 AM
Matt, here is a internal link to another post with the same problem as yours, along with the same procedure to isolate the cause.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...hreadid=118597

It explains how to use a test light while pulling fuses one at a time.

Old 11-17-03, 04:58 PM
Lightbulb

There is a fairly easy way to diagnose this. Remove 1 battery terminal and either put a digital amp meter in series, or place a 12V test light in series with the removed battery wire. Remove 1 fuse at a time until the light goes out or the amp meter drops off. That will isolate it to which circuit it is. Personally I would remove the plug from the alternator over night and see if the battery is dead the next day...have seen this before.

Old 11-17-03, 05:04 PM
Make sure you disable the door jam switch and the hood light before you attempt that. You'll never find it if you don't.