Overheating

Old 11-14-03, 11:28 AM
AlfredHap
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Overheating

I have a 1996 Chev. Cavalier, 4 door, 2.2L, OHV. I just had a shop replace the radiator. I had another shop replace the thermostat due to the car overheating and loss of radiator fluid leaking out at the cap to the radiator overflow tank. The car still overheats. I have put another thermostat in and more fluid in it and it continues to run in the red and Very hot zone on the temp gage and is still pushing fluid out around the cap. The hose from the engine to the radiator is hot and the hose from the radiator to the engine is cold (same temp as the temp outside). The hose from the engine to the radiator is also pretty solid when the engine is running, so there is pressure in it. I could use some help trying to figure out what the problem is. I would appreciate any help anyone might be able to give me. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 12:42 PM
you will get a better response shortly because these guys know their stuff, but my first impression is that the thermostate is stuck closed. they only cost a few bucks. get a new one and start from there.

Old 11-14-03, 02:14 PM
It's very possible that you got it hot 1 too many times. The radiator was probably yout original problem but you may have got it so hot in the interim that you have either cracked a head or blown a head gasket. You'll have to do a chemical test to the radiator looking for combustion gases. It's pretty common in those cars if you get them too hot.

Old 11-14-03, 02:20 PM
Check the operation of the coolant fan,but Desi may be right.It may have been hot 1 to many times.Also run it without the thermostat and see if that helps.

Old 11-14-03, 02:29 PM
how about flow

Do you have good flow?Remove cap let it warm up and see if you see water movment.If not water pump might be bad.
I knew a guy once that had this problem he repaced everything but the pump. When he finnally changed it he found most of the impellors had corroded away so he was not moving much fluid.

Old 11-14-03, 04:03 PM
Being in So Fla, I see this scenerio way too many times. Another thing he could do is put a pressure tester on it and see if it holds pressure and if not, does the engine miss or does the exhaust smell like coolant after restarting. Is the radiator bubbling while trying to fill it? Removing the thermostat will cause other problems like not going into closed loop. I really doubt the water pump has a problem because he already found a problem with the radiator which was repaired. By all means, make sure the fan is working though.

Old 11-14-03, 04:11 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
I would sure have to say, check for a combustion leak. Sounds like a lot of pressure getting into the cooling system. are they getting the thermostat in the right direction?

Old 11-14-03, 06:10 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
desi---what if the radiator was replaced because the coolant was original to the car, meaning it was a solid rust bomb. this would have me looking right at the water pump and for the missing impellers.

it's easier to take out the thermostat and check the radiator for a good volume of coolant flowing to eliminate the pump as a problem.

another quick step, with the thermostat already out, is to take off the water pump belt, and run the car for 1-2 minutes MAX, look for any bubbles in the radiator which might indicate a combustion leak into the cooling system.

this is assuming, of course, that the electric fan works!

Old 11-14-03, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by mike from nj

another quick step, with the thermostat already out, is to take off the water pump belt, and run the car for 1-2 minutes MAX, look for any bubbles in the radiator which might indicate a combustion leak into the cooling system.

this is assuming, of course, that the electric fan works!
Yes that is another good way.

The water pump scenerio is a bit "out there" though. Not impossible but really unlikely.