Clear Coat

Old 11-14-03, 07:33 PM
Clear Coat

CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME THE RATIO MIX ON PAINT & CLEAR COAT FOR 85 CHEV.PLEASE GIVE FOR ACRILIC & ENAMEL.
THANKS

Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-03, 08:57 PM
I don't paint many '85 Chevys so I'll move this to where you might find better help.

Old 11-15-03, 04:27 AM
It depends on the product you are planning to use. Best thing to do is ask the counter salesperson at the paint store as alot of paints differ and will differ for different climates. Usually the can will have basic instructions though.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 11-15-03, 04:22 PM
jimmymc
Visiting Guest
The 1985 GM original paint system is base coat(color) with a polyurethane top coat(clear).

The paint(basecoat) is applied first and then the clear/topcoat(polyuretane) is applied last.

The terms acrylic lacquer and acrylic enamel are just about things of the past.

Some custom applications may call for mixing clear with basecoat, but normally(factory) it is paint, then clear. I know of no ratio for this mix, usually I use my best idea for what I'm trying to achieve. Clear is mixed with color for fade type custom paint. After the desired affect is created...straight clear is applied.

Paint manufactors... european...discovered, that if you put flattening compound in metallic paint...the metallic particles stand on edge more and sparkle more. The clear coat is necessary for the car to have a shine...otherwise it would not shine because of the flattening compound in the paint.

jimmymc

Old 11-17-03, 12:03 AM
Ratio

Most base paints (color) are quoted by the MFR for thinning purposes. Most clear coats are 4:1.

Hope this helps,

Tony

Old 11-17-03, 03:18 PM
Every paint manufacture has a "System". Each one is different and the "parts" of the system to not interchange with another manufactures "System".

If try to mix "Systems" the results are not predictable.

You have to follow what the paint manufacture states is proper mix is for their product

Larry