remote starter

Old 11-14-03, 08:30 PM
wwc
Question remote starter

How hard is it to install a remote starter on a car.
Is there a brand better than another or one to stay away from.
any tips or tricks to it?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-03, 04:41 AM
If I were going to purchase one of these products, I would surely stay with a top electronics name brand. They should be fairly easy to install. Instructions are normally included. Just be careful where you connect the power wire as you can wreak havoc on your electronics components of you connect to a low voltage wire, such as seat belt pretensioners or air bag circuits.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 11-15-03, 06:57 AM
Remote car starter is a DIY project for some. You can spend all day doing it depending on how talented you are in the garage. A typical install requires:
- drill and install safety switch under hood.
- drill hole in firewall
- hiding antenna wire under interior trim
- optionally, connecting and mounting some underdash relays.
- identifing and splicing into several underdash wires, including:
- brake light circuit
- running light ciruit
- ignition/starting wires

Your largest wire splice will be to your heavy gauge ignition/run and ignition/start wires. Many people will shy away from this task the instant they understand that point. Other people will shy away when they hear that the airbag wire is near the area of the other wires.

Many brands are good. I've installed 3 or 4 brands. I would never buy the BullDog brand. It seems to be a popular brand in the chain stores, but I actually removed a brand new one that I installed and threw it in the trash, then installed another brand.

As for tips and tricks, here's a tip. Buy a model that comes with, (not an optional purchase) a ridgid receiver antenna that mounts on the interior windshield. They are tiny 6" things. Some models use a simple loose wire that can hang or lay anywhere you put it, but this loose wire design will greater reduce your reception distance. Also, the reception distance (i.e. 1000 ft, etc) printed on the packages assume that you are in the Mohave Desert. You will find that they tend to work in congested areas by about half the advertised distance.

Old 11-15-03, 07:01 AM
otter_
Visiting Guest
remote starter

Just be careful where you connect the power wire as you can wreak havoc on your electronics components of you connect to a low voltage wire, such as seat belt pretensioners or air bag circuits.
amen.

If you're driving a late-model care, this especially becomes an issue due to multiplexing and bussed circuits. Tap into the wrong wire and all bets are off as far as the manufacturer is concerned.

Search this Thread