Mechanical Speedometer Jitter

Old 11-15-03, 12:42 PM
dfrandin
Visiting Guest
Question Mechanical Speedometer Jitter

I've got a '91 Toyota 4X4 Pickup with 148k miles. The speedo has started to periodically become extremely "nervous" at around 45mph. The dial will be steady at the indicated speed for a while then it will start jumping between 40-50 (assuming an actual speed of 45mph). Is this usually a problem with the cable (lubrication etc.) or the speedometer mechanism? If it is a a lubrication issue, is there any way for me to lube it from the bottom end (at the tranny) vs having to take the dash apart to get to the top of the cable?.. If it's a relatively easy fix, I'd like to take care of it, but since I got laid off from work last week, there isn't going to be any non-DIY work done on this for while.... :-<

Thanks in advance,
Dave Frandin
dave-AT-frandinDOTohArrGee

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-03, 12:59 PM
With that mileage I would remove and clean the cable and lube it.Best best would be to replace it,it may be worn into the casing.Toyotaman will be here and may have other suggestions as well.

Old 11-16-03, 01:15 PM
dfrandin
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tip.. Since I'm unemployed I'll have time to take the dash apart to get to the cable...

Dave

Old 11-16-03, 01:20 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it's been a while since i've seen a speedo cable. the ones i used to work on (not toyota) after the dash cluster came out, you could just pull the center 'driving' cable out of the sheathing, clean it real good, then there is an actual cable lube for it, and slide it back into the cable(all the way to the trans) all from inside the car.

Old 11-16-03, 02:07 PM
Haven't lubed one in long time. They use to come out from the bottom. Like Mikes says clean and lube.

Larry

Old 11-16-03, 02:59 PM
Lube

I am with these guys go buy some cable lube remove cable clean real well lube and reinstall.
I dont think it is too hard to remove from the dash Toyota is a pretty simple design,
But make sure you use the correct lube made for spedos not any old lube you have laying around.

Old 11-17-03, 07:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Had a nervous speedo in a vehicle years ago. I shot some powder graphite into the cable and it worked just like Xanax.

Old 11-18-03, 05:46 AM
dfrandin
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the tip.. Will try that..

Dave

Old 11-18-03, 01:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Glad to help. I had questions that got answered here and
I figured that I should help any way I can. Good luck with it!!