1995 jeep cherokee sport, 4X4

Old 11-15-03, 01:29 PM
pest151
Visiting Guest
Question 1995 jeep cherokee sport, 4X4

Please Help!!
My husband was driving to the store when the Jeep died, like it was out of gas. It's not. We checked fuses. No problem there. We checked gas pressure and found a problem. We bought another fuel pump. No go. It turns over really good, but won't crank. My husband checked the original pump and says it's good. It's fuel injected with the electric pump. The filter is good also. He says there's no spark (whatever that means).
Short of coming to fix it, any suggestions??? It's never done anything like this.

Thank You,
Jennifer
P.S. We have a manual for it, but we can't find anything in it other than doing what I've described . It's an in-line 6 cyl., auto.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-03, 07:32 PM
You said that you checked fuel pressure and found a problem. What problem? What are your readings? You have a fuel issue as well as an ignition (spark) problem???
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 04:34 AM
pest151
Visiting Guest
1995 jeep

There was no fuel comming to the engine. We don't have a pressure checking gauge. Also when my husband tried to check for a spark he put a screw driver in the plug holder, that little rubber thing that keeps the plug from getting wet, and held it to metal, there was no spark.
I hope this helps. As you can tell, I'm not versed in mechanic talk.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 11-16-03, 05:10 AM
LOL Jennifer... Thats ok, at least you are trying and have the right idea. Do you currently have fuel coming to the engine? If you do not have spark at the plugs then you should go backwards from there. Check the plug wires, the coil, the distributor cap and rotor.
Hope this helps,
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 07:30 AM
It turns over really good, but won't crank.
You mean it cranks but won't start.

Check for spark directly out of the coil. If you have no spark out of the coil, then check the crankshaft position sensor. It is located at the bell housing (where the engine meets the transmission) and is held in by 2 bolts. You may need a very long extension and inverted torx sockets to replace it, but you can unplug the connector and measure the resistance with digital ohm meter.

Near the rear of intake manifold, disconnect sensor pigtail harness connector from main wiring harness.
Place an ohmmeter across terminals B and C (SEE Image). Ohmmeter should be set to 1K-to-1OK scale for this test. The meter reading should be open (infinite resistance). Replace sensor if a low resistance is indicated.

Old 11-16-03, 08:51 AM
pest151
Visiting Guest
1995 jeep

Hi Billy,
I told you we checked the fuses but that was only the square black ones. We read in the owners manual that the smaller colored fuses, the 30 amp one, controls the fuel pump. We replaced that fuse and it blew immediately. Something is shorting out and blowing it. Any idea as to what it might be??
Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 11-16-03, 08:55 AM
Square Black ones sounds like Relays. If you have an actual fuse blowing then you have a short somewhere. When does it blow? As soon as you install? When you turn on the key? After cranking for a sec?
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 09:00 AM
Sorry... that wasnt much help.... You already knew that... I should slow down when I read some of these things... LOL. The fuel pump is in the tank, corect? I have seen where the terminals that connect the pump will be burned and cause a short. Eventually it can burn out the pump, but if your pump is good then I would say you may have a bad relay. Try changing the relay with another one that is the same. Make sure that the relay is EXACTLY the same. There are part numbers on the top of these relays. The A/C or horn or headlight relay may be the same, just dont disable something that is required for the vehicle to run.
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 09:54 AM
pest151
Visiting Guest
1995 jeep

Hi Billy,
We checked the relays (black square things) and they are fine. The fuel pump is in the tank. We checked the wires and etc. on it and around it . Every thing seems fine.
Any other suggestions???
It's most likely something so simple, we can't see it.
Thanks,
Jennifer

Old 11-16-03, 10:02 AM
OK.... if you have a GOOD relay, and a NEW fuel pump and you are popping the fuse then you have a short in the wiring somewhere. The best advice I can give you is start tracing the wires. The junction box where all of the fuses are is the best place to start. There should only be like 2 screws holding it in, remove those and check the wires under it for anything that looks out of place. Then trace back to the pump. Something is likely pinched somewhere.
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 10:11 AM
pest151
Visiting Guest
1995 jeep

Hi,
We're trying that as I type.
I'll let you know how things turn out.
Thanks very much for your help.
Have a great day.
Jennifer