97 ford explorer v6 heater is not getting hot

Old 11-16-03, 01:27 PM
ford girl
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 97 ford explorer v6 heater is not getting hot

HELP IM LOST AND I NEED HELP WITH MY HEATER I HOPE I CAN GET SOME INFO OR AT LEAST ADVICE

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-03, 01:45 PM
GPMan
Visiting Guest
Be more specific!

Old 11-16-03, 02:12 PM
Does your blower motor work?
Does it blow cold air,,, all the time,, most of the time?
Does the dashboard temp guage read normal, or hot or cold?

Old 11-16-03, 02:18 PM
Feel the heater hoses and see if they both feel the same temp.

Old 11-16-03, 04:51 PM
ford girl
Visiting Guest
Cool 97FORD EXPLORER HEATER

SORRY I WASNT A LITTLE MORE DESCRIPTIVE THE BLOWER DOES WORK AND THE TEMP GAGE IS NORMAL AND YES IT BLOWES ONLY COLD COLD AIR AND I EVEN TRIED TO LEAVE RUN TO WARM UP AND I FROZE. I DONT KNOW IF I FELT THE RIGHT HOSE BUT I DID CHECK TO SEE IF THE HOSES WHERE LOSE OR DISCONECTED. I ALSO TRIED ALL OF THE FUSES JUST NOT THE LARGE BLACK BOXES. SORRY IM SURE THEY HAVE A NAME BUT I AM A GIRL. THANKS AGAIN FORD GIRL

Old 11-16-03, 05:00 PM
Well, to make a long story short. I think you have a bad heater control valve. It's easy to change out and they are known to go bad. It is located the engine compartement in the heater hose routed toward the firewall.

Old 11-16-03, 05:02 PM
GPMan
Visiting Guest
Move to Florida, it's warmer! j/k

Could be the thermostat. A simple way to check: start cold truck, place hand on top radiator hose it should be cold. When coolant reaches thermostat temp, hose should become very warm. If hose stays luke warm or cold, thermostat may be stuck open: Hence, replace thermostat.

Could also be temp switch or valve.

Old 11-17-03, 04:19 AM
It's probable the Blend door is broken at the top were the Blend door motor attaches. This is a well known problem with these,and pretty hard to fix by yourself. The DASH has to come out to put a NEW BLEND DOOR CASE in. That's the only way to get the Blend door is to buy a case. Sorry!

Fix it Right the First Time!= FORD

Old 11-17-03, 02:38 PM
Jumping to too many conclusions here. You need to do some checking first. There are 2 heater hoses under the hood entering the firewall. You have to feel these as close to the firewall as possible and see if they are both getting hot. If both are cold, engine not getting hot enough. If one is getting hot and the other isn't, something (likely water valve) is not letting water circulate. If both hoses are hot, that means the problem is inside and likely the blend door or the cable controling it.

Old 11-18-03, 06:22 AM
She said the temp gage is normal so one would assume the thermostat to be ok. If one heater hose is hot and the other is cool the heater control valve can be bad. The heater control valve can be actuated by a cable or a vacuum hose. On some you can see the arm on the outside that moves as the valve opens & closes. Have someone operate the heater controls and watch to see if the arm moves back & forth. If it is vacuum make sure the hose is not broken or cracked and that it is connected. As the heater controls are operated you should get vacuum that you can feel with your finger at the end of the hose in one position and no vacuum in the other position.

You can take the heater control valve off and look through it or use a garden hose to see if it is open and water will go through it.

Also if the heater control valve is good it could be a clogged heater core. If this is the problem you might be able to clear it by using a garden hose and flushing water back and forth both ways through it.

Old 11-18-03, 07:59 PM
Does this truck have (EATC) Electronic Automatic Temperature Control or does the heater control panel have digital read out? If it does then (TSB) Technical Service Bulletin 99-8-8 says Climate Control
erratic or insufficient temp control check the Blend Door for correct operation by moving temp range from HOT to COLD if you can hear the motor working than check and see if the BLEND DOOR is BROKE were the motor is attach to it by removing to motor and looking at the top of the BLEND DOOR with a mirror it should be broken. The PART# is F87Z-18471-DA = A/C PLENUM CASE