Passkey 2 system

Old 11-16-03, 01:40 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Passkey 2 system

I have a 1995 Bonneville that will not start until the security light stops flashing.At one point the light stayed on constantly while driving. Is this something I can correct myself and if so how. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 11-16-03, 02:11 PM
It's a pretty complicated system. They have a lot dash cluster failures.

Old 11-17-03, 04:48 PM
L
This is a pretty stupid question, but have you tried another key? I have a '98 Bonneville and I know that it works based on the resistance of the chip in the key. If that value is off, it won't work right. The dealer shoves your key into a box that reads it, but basically it's an ohm meter across the little black chip. There is a way to eliminate the PassKey system under the dash using a potentiometer until you hit the right value. Check a website called THE 12 VOLT. If that is no good, go to the Crimestopper website or call them. They have the info that they can fax you because they sent me one a while back. There will be a diagram in their database. I messed with mine a little when I was trying to hook up a remote start. Tell them that you bought a crimestopper remote starter and they will gladly help you out. Good Luck!

Old 11-17-03, 05:21 PM
Are we talking about Pass Key or Pass lock. They are quite different systems. I didn't think Pass Key used a security light but Pass lock does. Pass Lock is muck more than a resistor chip in the key. Pass Key is a pretty simple system.

Old 11-18-03, 08:20 AM
doclove
Visiting Guest
Hi.Not seeing it my self I can only tell you the cause of this 99% of the time.It is caused by a bad wire in the igniton cylinder,the part you put your key in.Ther are 2 wires that come out of it at the bottom and after all the turning to start aftre all this time the wies will break inside the insulation.You cant see it but if you pull on them it will break.This makes for a intermittent operation as you describe.To repair you will need to remove steering wheel,a new cylinder with keys to match new cylinder of with the correct key code.Take the key to a GM dealer and they can tell you the key code for the security system.Haqve fun.Rick

Old 11-18-03, 10:55 AM
PASSKEY

passkey is no that complicated system but is best diagnosed by the dealer or someone with good information and some patience. it works by reading the resistance of the pellet in your key...wrong resistance, no fuel and no crank. The light is telling you something and without identifying the circuit, you can throw alot of money at it and still not have a car that starts properly. They did have alot of lock cylinder failures and that may well be the problem but just putting one in there without doing some testing first seems foolish to me. Get it checked out by a competent tech and then decide whether to have them repair it or if you may be able to install the part(s) yourself and save a couple bucks. good luck...

Old 11-19-03, 08:26 PM
S
Thanks all for the input, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 11-21-03, 07:18 PM
B
This vehicle would have pass-key. which has the resistor in the key. they are known for breaking the wires off at the ignition lock cylinder.
If it fails completely, measure the resistance throught the pellet in the key. Then go to radio shack and buy some resistors that when added up equal the resistance in the pellet. Then drop the lower steering column cover and find a small two wire connector I think the wires are either white or yellow. Disconnect this connector, and jumper the connector with the resistor you have made. This essentially simulates the key in the ignition. See if it has an effect on the vehicles behaviour. Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: