01 neon, hesitates when givin gas

Old 11-16-03, 04:53 PM
countryrab28
Visiting Guest
01 neon, hesitates when givin gas

I have a 2001 dodge neon. I have been having trouble with it feeling like it is going to stall. Now if I stop at a light or a stop sign when I give it gas to go it does't want to go anywhere. Feels like it is going to stall. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-03, 04:57 PM
How many miles, check engine light on? Maybe under warranty?

Mike should be by

Larry

Old 11-16-03, 05:01 PM
countryrab28
Visiting Guest
It has 69,000 miles on it, I have a light that comes on but it was solid for a couple of days, which means it was a minor problem, just started to blink today. At first I thought it was just bad gas, that was the problem last time...... No longer under warranty.

Old 11-16-03, 05:14 PM
Go to Autozone to get the codes retrived. Post back

Blinking check engine light is bad. Misfire, that if you continue to drive will damage the cat.

Larry

Old 11-16-03, 05:20 PM
I worked on one of these some time ago with similar symptoms. First thing is the check engine light NEVER indicates a "minor" problem. If it were minor then the computer would not monitor it and let you know that something is wrong. As Toyotaman said the blinking is very bad, most likely a misfire code. If you let us know what the codes are we can help ya. The one (actually 2) I worked on recently had fuel pump problems. It was not maintaining the fuel pressure. At one time while driving before replacing the pump the pressure dropped down to 17psi and then stalled.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 11-16-03, 08:34 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
billy beat me to it, oh well, maybe next time.

let's review the facts, 1. the car runs terrible, hesitates, sometimes won't even move, 2. the check engine light is on, and even flashing!

maybe you have a problem that's not too minor?

read the book in the glove box (owner's manual) and see what it says about a flashing 'check engine' light if you don't want to believe us.

read further into the manual, and see that you should have replaced the spark plugs twice already, at 30,000 and 60,000 miles and also the plug wires (ignition cables) at 60k too. guess why that's in there, because they wear out and need to be replaced regularly, or this happens(what you have)

let us know if you come up with anything, like finding a shop(autozone) that can extract the codes. the tune-up is probably so cheap though, maybe get that done too if it's never been done.

at our dealer, our tune-ups are under $100 dollars, and we use the correct parts too.

Old 11-17-03, 07:18 AM
countryrab28
Visiting Guest
Thanks for all the advice, it is greatly appreciated. Here are the codes I got after diagnostics PO302, PO442, & PO455.

Old 11-17-03, 10:14 AM
P0302 is a cylinder number 2 misfire. P0442 is a Evap Leak Monitor 0.040 evap leak detected. P0455 is Evap Leak Monitor Large Leak Detected. First you obviously need a tune-up since im betting it has never been done. The Evap leaks could indicate something as simple as a lost gas cap, or it could indicate another problem in the evap system. I still would not rule out the fuel pump. The 2000 Neon I did recently sent me a P0304 (cylinder number 4 misfire) plus several other codes. The reason it set the misfire code is the number 4 injector is the last one in the rail and was starving for fuel so the computer deduced it as a misfire. Cool how these things work. Get a fuel pressure tester on it and see what happens. You may need to drive it with the tester hooked up to see what it will do. Pressure should be somewhere around 50-55psi. It should not falter more than a couple of psi.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy