91 Ford Ranger Idols rough

Old 11-17-03, 01:54 AM
john1832
Visiting Guest
Question 91 Ford Ranger Idols rough

I have a 91 Ford Ranger 4wd 2.9L Automatic Trans. It started idalling real rough and blows black smoke. I plugged it into the code retrever and I'm getting an all clear code. I'm totally lost on this one. I replaced the injectors around six months ago.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-03, 04:01 AM
Sounds like Idle Air Control Actuator to me. The same thing happened to my 01 Mazda B3000 about a month ago. Took to dealer (still under warranty at the time) and they checked and replaced for free.
Hope this is helpful to ya,
Billy

Old 11-17-03, 04:04 AM
Check for a vacuum leak, and also look at the MAP sensor. If it's running that rich it should throw a code?

Old 11-17-03, 11:30 AM
Pull the vac hose off the fuel pressure reg and see if any gas present. Should be dry, if wet reg NG

Larry

Old 11-17-03, 02:31 PM
I think trhe first thing I would take a look at is the EGR and tap on it and make sure it is closing all the way. I might even take it off to make sure. The IAC won't give you any black smoke. How does it run when you bring the RPM's up to cruise range? The fuel regulator is a good possibility also.

Old 11-17-03, 02:48 PM
A faulty intake air temp sensor will give this symptom also.

Old 11-17-03, 04:55 PM
Desi.... Actually the IAC WILL give black smoke. My 01 Mazda B3000 did just that.
Billy

Old 11-18-03, 01:30 AM
john1832
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

WOW! I didn't expect so many responces. What a great forum. I thank you all. However wouldn't most of those problems produce a code? I ran it again and I'm still getting an all clear code. As far as the engine running at speed goes, it seems to run fine however my gas consumption has doubled. This problem is really making me fell like an idiot.

Old 11-18-03, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by billys68ss
Desi.... Actually the IAC WILL give black smoke. My 01 Mazda B3000 did just that.
Billy
I don't see how. All it controls is an air bleed through the intake. I'd say there was something else causing the black smoke.

Old 11-18-03, 04:06 AM
Desi..... I agree with you, but that is what happened. It just started all of a sudden, running like crap and puffing black smoke, and even stalled on me when I pushed it. Since it was still under warranty at the time (had 1200 miles left on the basic warranty ) I took it to Mazda. They checked it, the engine light never came on, and no codes were ever set. I suspected the IAC, but like i said I wasnt going to spend time and money on it when it can be fixed for free by the dealer. Their diagnosis and repair was the IAC failed an electrical test of some fashion. I cant remember the exact words they used. I looked and that is all they replaced and it has rean fine since. Now that I am out of warranty I will be doing all of my own repairs.
Billy