94 Plymouth Voyager hestitation?

Old 11-17-03, 09:38 AM
just4fun
Visiting Guest
Question 94 Plymouth Voyager hestitation?

My 94 Plymouth Voyager hesitates wether warm or cold(although more extreme hesitation when cold) requiring constant quick steps on the accelarator to get it to go which makes it like riding a bucking bronco. It has had a tune-up recently in the hopes of curing the problem but to no avail. 3.0 liter V-Six. Spark plugs, plug wires, Dist. Cap and Rotor, all air and Gas Filters have been replaced. No visible vacuum leaks that I can see and I even replaced the intake gaskets a year ago and that also failed to cure my problem. Please help. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-03, 11:25 AM
Are there any codes?

Larry

Old 11-17-03, 12:14 PM
just4fun
Visiting Guest
Sorry Larry

I do need to get in and get the codes...which is always scary...seems everytime I have ever done that every emission part on the car was bad..lol...but still a nessary step.

Old 11-18-03, 04:24 AM
If you have emission component failure you will get all sorts of wierd symptoms. Find out the codes and let us know.
Billy

Old 11-18-03, 09:12 AM
Joe Mroczek
Visiting Guest
voyager 3.0L studder stall

I have same prob, no codes, and low idle 80 rpm, getting worse. 1988 voyager 3.0L. Any ideas.

Last edited by Joe Mroczek; 11-18-03 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-18-03, 09:31 AM
80 rpm and its still running? That sounds a little unlikely. A little more detail is needed here.
Billy

Old 11-18-03, 10:24 AM
Joe Mroczek
Visiting Guest
sorry 800

Old 11-18-03, 03:17 PM
800 RPM is not a bad or abnormal idle point. If it is not staying there while in park then you have a problem. Give us more details. What exactly is it doing or not doing?
Billy

Old 11-18-03, 03:59 PM
Joe Mroczek
Visiting Guest
idle is about 800 rpm, fuel pump makes loud humm [ last 6 mo. ] eng will " misfire " and rpm will drop then surge to 1100+- fuel pump sound changes at this time. this happens a couple of times then finally quits. When i start, if i step on the gas too hard when the eng rpm is low it stalls. once the eng is over 1500 +- then i can step on it.

I just went to pick up my son at work and it died on the freeway... AAA towed it home... it will crank, i can hear the fuel pump, the tank is 3/4 full, and it will not fire at all, not even a single kick.

Last edited by Joe Mroczek; 11-18-03 at 04:14 PM.
Old 11-18-03, 05:30 PM
Can you check to see if you are getting fuel to the fuel rail? Or does this thing have a carb? Either way, are you getting fuel. From what you describe I would be leaning towards a fuel delivery problem. Likely a clogged filter or pump going bad inside tank.
Billy

Old 11-18-03, 05:47 PM
I have a 1995 with a 3.0 it was like hesitating and took it and got it fixed, it was my EGR valve. That is what garage replaced and now no more hesitation. Maybe something you could check.

Old 11-18-03, 09:56 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
the first thing to check on any 3.0L of any year with an idle complaint or a stalling problem is the throttle blade and ais motor.

they are notoriously dirty, like always. remove the air filter tube, and clean the edges of the blade, as well as the entire bore area. in work, the proper way to clean it is to remove the entire throttle body (two 13mm nuts) and clean the entire inside. take out the ais motor (Automatic Idle Speed) and clean that thoroughly too( two t25 torx screws), it should be free to move in and out, if not, it's frozen and needs to be replaced.

post back with your findings, and keep different cars/people in different threads, it gets very confusing.

Search this Thread