Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

94 Olds Cutlass Ciera Transmission

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 06:23 AM   #1  
dbeffa
94 Olds Cutlass Ciera Transmission

I am having intermittant problems with the transmission on this car. I start the car after it has been sitting overnight. Shift from Park to reverse, step on the gas, the engine revs up, and the car barely creeps backward. I can then shift into drive (OD) and it revs up and the car barely creeps forward. I shift through all drive gears D,2,1 and put it back into reverse and it engages and drives fine. The car shifts fine once I get it to work once. It has happened three times in the last few weeks. I have a appointment to take it in, but was looking for some ideas to what it could be, and how much to fix it. The AT fluid was changed less then 10,000 miles ago, looks clean and is at the proper level.

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 06:49 AM   #2  
dbeffa
I also want to add, that I received no warning lights. The outside temperature was 25F one time, and 50F the next, so I can't blame it on below freezing weather. The first time it did it, the car sat for almost two days, the next time 9 hours.

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 08:30 AM   #3  
doclove
Hello.I dont remember reading abought the milage on the car but it sounds like its time for a rebuild.After time all the rubber sealing rings in the trans get hard and when cold the fluid blows past them and does not let trans work properly.After getting warm they soften up and start to work.Also check balls in the valve body wear out and let fluid drain out of parts of the trans,this can allow slipping when first started.So probley rebuild time.Rick

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 08:43 AM   #4  
dbeffa
The mileage on the car is 85,000. I have put the last 50,000 miles on it, but I don't know the cars maintenance history prior to that

Search this Thread