Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

windshield wipers intermittent stop

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 09:21 AM   #1  
Joe Mroczek
windshield wipers intermittent stop

1988 ply voyager...
ww stopped completly in middle of windshield, 2 days. now they sometimes work fine. other times they are intermittent [ on fast or slow ] . other times they will not stop when on intermittent. controll box or motor or wiring??? cleaned connectors same problem. if i turn them off [when they are stuck]they will eventually park. the controll module is only avail from dealer @ $52. hate to spen this much if it is not the cause.

THANKS for any advise??

Joe

Sponsored Links

WV

11-18-03, 09:28 AM   #2  
Joe, are you sure it is not the switch causing this problem?
Billy

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 09:54 AM   #3  
Joe Mroczek
[dosnt seem to be the switch. when it works i can turn it on and off and to intermittent with no problem. when it dosnt work cant do anything with the switch to get it to work. if it were the switch it shoud still park.

VA

11-18-03, 10:41 AM   #4  
wipers...

...looks to me like the module does not control the hi and lo speeds, just the intermittant functions. do this...when the wipers stop working, check for battery voltage at the brown wire on the wiper motor. if you have no voltage, it's likely the switch (no matter what it feels like) if you do have voltage, the motor is the culprit. The latter is probably the problem because the motor has a 9 amp circuit breaker internally and when current demand exceeds this, it opens to protect the motor...as soon as it cools, it resets automatically. sounds like what's happening to me. Now...current demand can go up because the motor is aged and beginning to drag inside from wear OR there can be physical resistance like the wiper blades dragging on dry glass or the wiper transmission is binding up. disconnecting the wiper motor drive link and working the wipers by hand will rule this out...the wipers should work pretty easily by hand...my money is on a bad motor. good luck...

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 03:43 PM   #5  
Joe Mroczek
Re: wipers...

thanks very much...didnt know about the internal circuit breaker. Appreciate the info very much JOE.

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 09:28 PM   #6  
mike from nj
oh car guy(in va), are you sure about the internal circuit breaker on the wiper motor, i don't really remember there being one inside there, i'm not saying there isn't, just i've never seen one on a wiring diagram that i can remember.

joe m.
on any older chrysler, (even my old truck had this) the ground strap from the motor bracket to the body either breaks or has a very dirty connection, it is usually under one of the mounting bolts. an easy way to check this is to make a jumper wire (with alligator clips) from the motor body to a very good ground(the battery will work). if everything works normal, you've found the problem.

how i fix it in work---make up a jumper wire, with two round eyelets on either end, one goes to the motor case (one of the long hold-together bolts) the other end goes onto a good ground or a self-tapping bolt into the firewall. this is a permanent repair too.

let us know what you find

VA

11-19-03, 07:42 AM   #7  
mike...

...the wire diagram i was looking at showed one...can't say i've ever had one open and looked at it tho...as for the ground, we all know how much they get overlooked...thanks for backing me up on that one as i've also seen those...on GM stuff tho. this would be a great place to do an amperage draw test with an inductive probe...yup!

Search this Thread