Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

87 ford f 150

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 12:25 PM   #1  
richyd36
87 ford f 150

i have an 87 f150 with a 300 6 cylinder fuel injected engine that is not getting any spark or fuel . we have changed the computer, the control module , the magnetic pickup, the coil , and checked all the fuses. we are still not getting any spark or fuel any help on this thing would be greatly apreciated . autozone tells us this thing has an electronic engine control relay that is under the dash board but we cant find it . however there are a couple of relays under the hood . could 1 of them be the culprit and does this truck truly have this relay i apreciate any help on this matter i dont know what else to look for thanks in advance

Sponsored Links

11-18-03, 02:00 PM   #2  
Some vehicles do have an electronic control relay and I think your truck is one of them. However I have no idea where to look. A chiltons manual should be of value locating it.

It would help if you purchased the relay first, then you could compare the spade configuration with those in your truck. The relays are inexpensive.

11-18-03, 02:46 PM   #3  
Does the check engine go on when you turn the key to run without starting it.

I think the relay is on the pass side dash, one is for the fuel pump the other is for the ECU

Larry

11-18-03, 03:07 PM   #4  
Sounds like an EEC relay problem. All you have to do is find it. Some Fords have and integrated sealed module that houses the EEC relay, the cooling fan relay and the compressor relay. They are usually bolted close to the radiator but sometimes behind the glove box. Most of the normal type relays are usually housed in a box on the L/F fenderwell. You could have either type.

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 03:21 PM   #5  
richyd36
the check engine light does come on when you turn the key on . i think we found the relay there are 2 of them on the drivers side inner fender . there are 2 different relays for the truck 1 is a 5 spade and the other is a 4 spade . bothe relays on the fender are 4 spade and 1 of them is really coroded and rusty i hope its the culprit thanks

11-18-03, 03:30 PM   #6  
One or them will be the fuel pump relay which is fed by the EEC relay. That's why you lose both.

11-18-03, 05:10 PM   #7  
Sounds like your on to something

I stand corrected...misread thought it was an E-150. My Dad has one.

Larry

11-18-03, 07:27 PM   #8  
The EEC relay is on the left hand fender apron in between the air filter box and master cylinder for the brakes. They both should be attached to a black plastic holder. The relay with the BROWN bottom this the EEC relay. The GREEN one is fuel pump. I have seen this happen to the relay's like water get's in them and corrodes the contacts.

Search this Thread