Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Dodge D-150

11-18-03, 04:11 PM   #1  
Dodge D-150

1984 Dodge D-150 318 with a A/T. The problem is over the last year when I parked truck when I got back in to start it, nothing at all when turn the key. Well I figured out that it was not all in park ( it was in park but I guess that whatever makes contact in there not making contact, to make sure you don;t start it in gear) so I have to just push up on shifter then it will start. This does this every now and then. I guess the problem has got worse today I shifted it in park turn key off and let foot off brake and it started to roll and you could hear like the transmission making a noise ( like if you every put transmission in foward before completely stopping while going in reverse). Well I put foot on brake and pushed up on gearshift and it stayed in park and didn't roll. So the question is the gearshift has linkage to transmission, is this something that is just an adjustment? Or what? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links

11-18-03, 05:23 PM   #2  
There is an adjustment but there isn't any reason for it to have changed. Look it over good for some bolts loosening somewhere or a bracket bending or breaking. Possibly broken motor mounts.

Visiting Guest

11-18-03, 09:35 PM   #3  
mike from nj
there's a few linkage rods between the shifter and the trans, each one with it's own rubber/plastic bushings in the end. if one is worn out or broken, you will have this problem. you need to find this problem before your truck rolls away and kills someone.

put the e-brake on tight, get a flashlight, block the wheels with some wood, have a friend shift back and forth through the gears and you look at the linkage (from underneath)with a flashlight until you find the loose one.

11-19-03, 07:46 PM   #4  
I have been using emergency brake and making sure it is in park and won't roll before getting out. I have notice that the gear shift selecter has alot of play in it. Would you still say this is linkage underneath or something in shifter itself. I have fixed many things on this truck and I think I can fix this if I am pointed in right direction. I will check back for more updates before I get to mess with this, this weekend. Thanks

Visiting Guest

11-19-03, 10:24 PM   #5  
mike from nj
start at the bottom of the column(under the hood), and try to hold the linkage steady with your hand, while someone rocks the shifter inside, there should be no play in the column.

now follow that rod to the trans, and do the same thing. there should be no free play anywhere, wherever something is loose, it needs to be replaced

Search this Thread