Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Cold weather and pour point. Not just another oil v.s oil question

Visiting Guest

11-19-03, 10:11 AM   #1  
ALU_in_MN
Cold weather and pour point. Not just another oil v.s oil question

Got a winter oil question.

My wife has a new Tacoma w/ V6 which is a lot harder to start in the cold wheather than any other car I've owned, and it's time for it's first oil-change. We spend a lot of time up in northern MN where we frequently wake up to -20 temperatures in the winter.

I've previously owned a 4cyl '90 Laser w/ 2.0 DOHC (non-turbo) that I ran synthetic in because I had more money than was good for me, and it way my baby. It also started like a champ at -30 F.

Granted it was a smaller engine, but even my oil-burning ProbeGT starts better in the cold than this thing.

So...I'm thinking I'd like to use an oil with a pour point down near the synthetics again to see if that helps her get going on the cold mornings.

Problem is, I can't find any sites with decent stats on different oils, and I'm not going to waste my $$$ on Amsoil even I could find it.

Anyone know of any cold-wheather comparisons for different oils?

Sponsored Links

VA

11-19-03, 10:28 AM   #2  
oil standards...

...perhaps her truck has a cold start problem that should be checked out...or already has...at any rate, your owners manual should have some information...or try calling the customer service number in your warrenty book...why reinvent the wheel when the engineers go to GREAT length to research and test oils in their applications. I would think that have a recommendation for extended cold weather operation

VA

11-19-03, 10:40 AM   #3  
here is some product info...

...that I found at mobil's website...i didn't check any other oil manufacturer's sites, possibly they have similar info out there...

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...Clean_Oils.asp

Search this Thread