engine replacement

Old 11-19-03, 10:42 AM
n9inl
Visiting Guest
Question engine replacement

I have a 1995 S-10 with 153,000 miles on it 2.2L 4cyl I'm thinking of replacing the engine can I replace it with aan engine from a newer vehicle or do I have to have a 95 also could I replace it with a 6cyl

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 10:52 AM
you have many choices...

...are you talking about used or new engine? don't mess with changing to a 6 cyl unless you have lots of experience with a project like that...which it doesn't sound like you do. a bone yard knows whether a different year will fit...if you are ordering a new or rebuilt engine, you would order it for your application...just be sire to look carefully at all the mounting points for the accessories, motor mounts, etc...

Old 11-19-03, 12:18 PM
Re: engine replacement

Originally posted by n9inl
I have a 1995 S-10 with 153,000 miles on it 2.2L 4cyl I'm thinking of replacing the engine can I replace it with aan engine from a newer vehicle or do I have to have a 95 also could I replace it with a 6cyl

it can be done.....but you will need to by all new stuff under the hood to go with it. the compter/wireharness is different, motor mounts/bellhousing/cooling ect.

just get a 2.2 with low miles and do it that way.....less headaches

bad thing is the 2.2 only fits 94-95 and is hard to find used.

Old 11-19-03, 03:33 PM
There are lots of things involved in changing to an engine that was not originally installed in your vehicle. All of the electronics are different. The trans is likely different. The mounts are most definately different. It really depends on what you want to accomplish. If experts can shoe horn a 501 Caddy Mill in a Chevette then anything can be done. Your choice!!!
Billy