88 voyager intermittent coil voltage (ASD)

Old 11-19-03, 11:11 AM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
Question 88 voyager intermittent coil voltage (ASD)

I have 88 2.5L Plym. Voyager. It just died one day with no symptoms. I have managed to troubleshoot this much.
There is 12 volts at the Ign. coil for 2 cranks and then the ASD kicks in. (Auto Shut Down relay) I must disconnect the battery to get things reset. There is fuel (as long as the ASD is not activated)but no spark.
I had suspected the Hall Effect pick in the distributor and replaced it. This did not fix the problem. I also substituted another known good ciol with no results.
This Van has a SBEC Module. Could the SBEC be gone?
How do I troubleshoot the SBEC?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-03, 01:31 PM
ASD, Auto Shut Down relay. Do you mean the fuel pump shutoff relay? ASD is a new one to me.

SBEC? Another new one me. What does that acronym stand for?

Old 11-19-03, 01:54 PM
Have you checked for codes yet?Turn the key on,offon,off,on and it should flash a code like blink(pause)blink blink would be 12 then a pause and the next code.88 is end of message.Try this and get back to us.

Old 11-19-03, 02:16 PM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
88 VOYAGER CODES

I HAVE ONLY 1 CODE TO REPORT FROM THE DASH #34 SPEED SENSOR. I HAVE HAD THIS CODE BEFORE WHILE THE VAN RAN. I DON'T SEE IT AS RELEVANT. I SUSPECT THERE ARE OTHER CODES BUT REQUIRE THE CODE READER THAT I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO.

TOM

Old 11-19-03, 09:37 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
this system is as simple as it gets, the code you are getting is the only one in the system.

when the ASD activates, the car can run, not the other way around. when the computer shuts down the asd, by defintion, it is automatically shutting it down! (the car)

pull the dist cap and crank the engine, is the rotor turning. your description vaguely resembles a bad dist pickup sensor, and you said it's new.

post back and we'll go from there

Old 11-20-03, 05:55 AM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
is the rotor turning

good question about the rotor turning? I need to verify that.
Will post a response on Fri.

Old 11-21-03, 06:45 AM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
88 voyager rotor turning?

BINGO!!!!
The rotor is not turning!!!
I replaced the distrubitor about 2 years ago (20,000 miles)
Did a drive pin on the ditributor gear break?
Where do we go from here ... Pull the distributor I take it.
Would of done that last night but I got home too late.

Old 11-21-03, 01:43 PM
There is a small plug in the upper timing cover remove it and see if the gear in there turns while someone cranks it.If it doesn't you need a timing belt.

Old 11-21-03, 02:08 PM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
NEED A TIMING BELT?

I t is not the timing belt. The very first thing I did was pull the cover off and check the timing belt. It is fine.

Old 11-22-03, 04:38 PM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
timing belt cont'd

I got a helper yesterday and as I noted the rotor did not turn the timing belt (ONLY) did not turn. The Alt. & AC cranked with the engine. The timing belt has tension on it (thats what makes me think it is not broken.) The teeth on the belt that I can see are all okay. Will dig deeper into the front of the engine. Any thoughts ?

Old 11-22-03, 10:45 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
it sounds like the tooth fairy visited your timing belt, he does that about every 120,000 miles, that's why you shouldn't wait that long. it will also happen if the belt is just plain old (and dry rotted) and not necessarily 100,000 miles.

just be glad that the valves don't bend in this engine when the belt breaks, or you would be putting a lot more money than a belt into this thing.

remove the 4 or 5 bolts on the crank pulley (on the bottom), not the center bolt, and take the pulley off with all the accessory belts still on it. you will see your missing teeth off the belt, that is where they shear when it happens.

keep your fingers crossed that the cam didn't seize in the cylinder head and cause this, it's very rare but is possible, try to spin the cam with an 18mm wrench, before you put the new belt on.

to get to the crank bolts, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right, and take out the splash shield if there is one there.

Old 11-24-03, 05:13 AM
tlchurch
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up tooth fairy

Y es the tooth fairy realy does exist. A 1/2 a dozen teeth were sheared off of the belt at the 6 oclock position on the crank shaft gear.

An easy fix, yet not so easily diagnosed.

Thanks you guys for your guidance.