Explorer 2001 plugs

Old 11-19-03, 07:10 AM
G
Gus
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Explorer 2001 plugs

Any sugestions how to remove the spark plugs, is any thing can be sprayed I have try to remove and no luck they are very tigth, I am afraid to use liquid wrench it may be explosive. My e-mail estenssoro@msn.com , help.

Old 11-19-03, 07:20 AM
start with a cold engine...

...in todays' bi-metal engines, electrolysis and poor maintenance can make it very difficult to remove some plugs. you can try using a penetrant and but it's unlikely that it will help. get yourself a long handled ratchet and perhaps a flexible spark plug socket and long extension. give yourself some room to really bear down, make sure the socket is fully engaged on the plug and grunt hard...they may come loose all at once or they may begin to turn slowly...as long as it'll turn counter-clockwise, keep turning...it's a 50/50 deal as to whether it's coming out clean or bringing some threads with it. if it messes up the threads you can try chasing them and see if a new plug will hold torque or, worst case, you may need an insert...probably best installed by someone who's done it before. make sure when new plugs go back in, assuming of course that you can and do get them out, that you coat the threads of the new plugs with anti seize compound and torque them correctly. over tightened plugs and plugs left in too long can really be a job to remove...my elbows hurt just thinking of it! good luck...

Old 11-19-03, 03:15 PM
G
Gus
Unhappy Exolorer 2001

Thanks for the help and I will try use your aqdvise nif I get the plugs out. I did call a mechanic locally and he price me to change the wires and plugs arpound $400 dollars, that is why decided to do it myself, also he mentioned that the plugs and wires in hte 2001 Explorer should be good for 50,000 miles, is he correct. Thank you anyhow.

Old 11-19-03, 04:05 PM
The plugs are platinum but 50k is a good time to replace. Recommend replace with OE Motorcraft plugs. Wires should be good to at least 80k. I have seen some go for 150k+ and seen some go bad at 30-40k. $400 is a bit much for plugs and wires, but the plugs can be a pain to get to on some of those. We usually get around 2 hours to do one of these, which comes out ot about $130.00 labor + parts.
Billy

Old 11-19-03, 05:04 PM
G
Gus
Thumbs up Explorerf 2001

I do really appreciate the responce, I just finished replacing my fuel filter after having a bad time coming home. The work took over 3 hard hours in trying to take out the old one I did learn that is an special tools to be able to remove the filter. In my old Crown last year I did n or have any problem at all, the Crown is a 1992 and the removal was much easier without any special tool. Thanks again.
Gus

Old 11-20-03, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by billys68ss
The plugs are platinum but 50k is a good time to replace. Recommend replace with OE Motorcraft plugs. Wires should be good to at least 80k. I have seen some go for 150k+ and seen some go bad at 30-40k. $400 is a bit much for plugs and wires, but the plugs can be a pain to get to on some of those. We usually get around 2 hours to do one of these, which comes out ot about $130.00 labor + parts.
Billy
At the 2 hours (which is a bit light) at $65 per hour (which is average) with a good set of wires which can be $100 retail plus the plugs, your looking at $275 plus. With filters added to that $400 is in the ballpark. With the heat these engines are experiencing, the wires aren't making it much past 60-70K most of the time. I agree with you on dumping the platinums though.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: