Bad Transmission?

Old 11-21-03, 06:35 AM
Bad Transmission?

What are the telltale signs of a transmission that is beginning to fail?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-03, 09:24 AM
I don't think it's as easy as that.

Most symptoms that could be attributed to a failing transmission could also point towards something else. The same symptom in one manufacturer’s transmission might mean something totally different in another manufacturer’s.

Is this an essay question for a homework assignment, or does your transmission act strange.... and you want to know if it is failing?

Knowing the make(s) and model(s) of the vehicle(s) would help(s). (lol)

Old 11-21-03, 09:40 AM
knowing automatic or manual would be good. if you get me a year/make/model i can scan for bulletins or common failures on said unit.

if its a dodge....i already know the answer

Old 11-21-03, 10:23 AM
This is a 1992 Ford Taurus wagon with an automatic transmision.

Old 11-21-03, 10:30 AM
Group Moderator
Taurus/Sable transmissions have a VERY high premature failure rate. I can just about guarantee that if you THINK it's failing, it is.

Check out these previous posts:

http://forum.doityourself.com/search...by=&sortorder=

Old 11-22-03, 03:55 AM
Hey tow guy! u probly had a few of those on the hook, huh?
The engine racing but the vehicle does not accelerate, engine speed flares between shifts, harsh vibrations between shifts, fluid that is a dark brown and smells awful. Those are a few clues.

Old 11-22-03, 10:44 AM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
GM seems to be the American company with the least transmission design problems. Obviously Chrysler is worst

Old 11-22-03, 12:18 PM
Group Moderator
Used to get 2 or 3 Taurus/Sable tow jobs into the tranny shops per WEEK. Not so many any more, I suspect because they've all either been repaired or are in the junkyard. Probably the worst piece of engineering ever to come out of FoMoCo. Or maybe the 3.8L engine in the same models - junk.

Old 11-22-03, 12:46 PM
The stories I could tell about tranny failures sometimes over a 1 dollar part.Well at least I keep busy at work. lol.

Old 11-22-03, 12:56 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
What a team, the 3.8L and the taurus transmission. So the worst problem with the 3.8s was the head gaskets? Didn't another of their engines have HG problems too?

Old 11-22-03, 11:08 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
hey kurt---i'm curious, what makes you say "obviously chrysler is worst", as far as transmissions? has that been your experience in replacing trannys or simply what you've heard? i'd like to hear your personal experiences. i can remember seeing quite a few GM tags on the transmissions i've taken out, (my own car included) (200-4R)(GM), and i don't even work in a gm dealer.

if you read back a few months, there are people asking questions about their gm trans problems here.

ps. reread davo's post, he works for a gm dealer.

Old 11-23-03, 07:34 AM
I think all the manufacturers have their own 'achilles heel'......

Old 11-23-03, 08:35 AM
Group Moderator
Head gaskets on the 3.8, but the Taurus/Sable had numerous other failure-prone parts. My brother's (was our Dad's), in addition to the tranny, also had motor mount & ac compressor failures and about a year before HIS head gaskets went I had to fix a coolant leak from failed gasket between timing cover and block. The tranny, mounts, and ac compressor went at <50,000 and I don't think it has 70k miles on it yet to date. Compare this to my wife's Camry with 160,000+ miles and the only significant parts I've had to replace were the ac compressor - at about 120k miles - and the radiator at >150,000.

The 4L80E GM tranny in my W-4 went 335,000 miles before overhaul.

Old 11-23-03, 01:44 PM
KurtDixon
Visiting Guest
No experience myself. But I have had 2 mechanics tell me+one on another board, and 2 people we know had the transmissions in their Chrysler vans fail. I know that isn't proof or anything, but it is my opinion that chrysler's FWD transmissions are worst (from what I have heard, I could be dead wrong I know...) I should have said it was my opinion, but... Obviously GM has a few bad transmissions too, but as far as what I have heard (again my opinion) GM has had the best luck with their transmission. JMO...

Old 11-24-03, 12:30 PM
patrickhenryhart
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by bigguy05641
Hey tow guy! u probly had a few of those on the hook, huh?
The engine racing but the vehicle does not accelerate, engine speed flares between shifts, harsh vibrations between shifts, fluid that is a dark brown and smells awful. Those are a few clues.
<P>Hey BigGuy, perhaps you have an answer for myself. Although my tranny has close to 250,000 on it, it hasn't really caused much problems, even though "hesitant" starting out sometimes.<BR>However, yesterday (and last night) it was pretty cold around here. Upon driving the 3 miles to the country & my folks, my tranny started downshifting & racing. Then, when I turned their corner, I had no gears at all for a while. Upon returning home, after I had started out, all gears [including reverse] were gone. My dad then towed me home, and when the tow rope came loose on my block, I shifted into gear, and it worked again. Thus far, it appears to be working today, but I don't want to get stranded in it somewhere.<P>There is plenty of fluid, the linkage appears to working correctly, and I'm at a loss.<BR>could it just be a combination of cold weather {though I use AMSOIL synthetic fluid}, and possibly needing to just change the filter again.

Old 11-24-03, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't mention what your vehicle is, Patrick. I'm hoping your engine was running while you were tow-roping it to provide proper lubrication to the tranny? Tow Guys and tranny shops LOVE to see vehicles being tow-roped down the road because there's a tranny failure somewhere in the not-too-distant future.
Chrysler products and most imports are especially prone to damage if towed on the drive wheels with engine off. GMs and Fords are a little more forgiving, but not much.

Old 11-24-03, 08:08 PM
patrickhenryhart
Visiting Guest
Sorry 'bout that! I have problems posting here sometimes, and had put that in the "Subject" line, but didn't come through.<P>It is an '82 Chevy G20 Van. And, yes, the engine was running. I determined later today, that it is probably a little low on fluid, but prior to checking with the engine running, the fluid did look dark.