Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Clutch: Jack stands/Repair ramp

11-21-03, 11:16 AM   #1  
Clutch: Jack stands/Repair ramp

Hi,

I mean to replace the clutch disk on my Honda Accord 1992 2dr LX Coupe. I've got Haynes manual, and it looks doable. Could somebody advise me how to get access to under the car? I have a pair of standard jack stands, but I'm afraid it wouldn't be enough. I guess I need a repair ramp or something similar, right? I don't know any public access ramps in the area. Where one can find a ramp for a day relatively cheap? Or may be there is another equipment available for rent, that allows to lift a car higher than a regular jack?

Sponsored Links

11-21-03, 11:38 AM   #2  
I do mine on jack stands.....the 3 ton heavy duty ones. not the walmart 20.00 set. the heavy ones should go high enough.

dont forget to grind the flywheel

11-21-03, 01:23 PM   #3  
Thanks!

A couple of follow ups then. Do I need to support an engine with a jack when the transaxle is out?
How heavy is the transaxle, will I manage to remove it on my own or I'd better get some help?
Where can I grind the flywheel?

11-21-03, 01:36 PM   #4  
Originally posted by Croco
Thanks!

A couple of follow ups then. Do I need to support an engine with a jack when the transaxle is out?
How heavy is the transaxle, will I manage to remove it on my own or I'd better get some help?
Where can I grind the flywheel?

I usually use my jack to hold the engine

92 accord trans should weigh about as much as a case of beer. just kidding, 80 lbs...give or take . can be done on your own but its gonna be akward getting everything lined up....easier with 2 people

call a local parts store/ heavy truck place......shouldnt be more than 30.00 and is very important to do

11-21-03, 01:39 PM   #5  
Yes support the engine.You can remove it yourself with a floor jack,but getting help is a much better plan I've done it both ways.A good machine shop can do the flywheel for you.If you want to save a couple bucks remove the guide pins yourself,most shops charge a little extra to do that for you.One word of caution test fit the clutch disc on the trans input shaft before installing it.Once saw a guy do his first clutch quite proud of himself until it didn't move.Get a quality clutch kit and it should come with an alignment tool for the clutch disc.Good Luck.

11-21-03, 02:18 PM   #6  
Originally posted by davo
.If you want to save a couple bucks remove the guide pins yourself,most shops charge a little extra to do that for you..

spend the extra 2 dollars and let them take the pins out. they will have a special tool that the use to 'slide hammer' them out. sometimes you need to heat the flywheel to get them out. they are a pain it the a$$. trust me....its worth the extra to do it.

11-21-03, 03:20 PM   #7  
Thanks guys!

Another one: do I need to change both the disk and the pressure plate, or the disk only might be enough?

11-22-03, 05:11 AM   #8  
Originally posted by Croco
Thanks guys!

Another one: do I need to change both the disk and the pressure plate, or the disk only might be enough?

if you are gonna do it....do it right

Visiting Guest

11-23-03, 12:03 AM   #9  
mike from nj
there's always one in the crowd!! (me)

picture how i do it, i put my drive-up ramps under the frame, right behind the front tires, i use my floor jack under the trans to lift it 1/2 inch, then i place a 2X4 (wood) under the oil pan to support the engine for the whole job. i use my jack to raise and lower the trans while standing in front of the car, pump it with one hand, guide it into place with your other hand.

light jap trannys like this one i usually lift into place with my hands, after fully draining the fluid into a pan, you'll get an unpleasant surprise if you don't do this.

i'm not recommending this officially, but on my own car, i have replaced the friction disc ONLY, no resurfacing either of the flywheel. easily 10,000 (hard) miles without a problem too. (and one i did with very deep grooves in the flywheel too)

thought you should know.

ps. i haven't been able to get those pins out without drilling the flywheel from the other side and hitting them with a punch.

WV

11-23-03, 05:37 AM   #10  
If you plan to turn the flywheel..... Most NAPA stores have the capability. And Yes, change the clutch disk, pressure plate and release bearing. As Davo said, a QUALITY kit will come with all 3 peices plus an alignment tool.
Billy

Search this Thread