1993 Subaru Justy

Old 11-21-03, 07:42 PM
1993 Subaru Justy

1993 Subaru Justy 1.2 liter (3 cyl engine) manual tranny..
Any ideas on what would cause the timing to be off by approximately 40 degrees? Timing belt and distributor were install 7,000 miles ago and ran great until this last weekend.
Now, the timing is off, but the marks for the timing belt line up correctly.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-22-03, 12:15 AM
Don't know if it can happen on that engine...but I'll tell you what I've seen,

After T-belt replacement the crankbolt loosens ever so slightly and dosen't put enough pressure on the crank sprocket causing the keyway on the sprocket to elongate.

The result is the timing is off by a bunch but the marks will line up when you check. With the cam or cam sprocket exposed move the crank back and forth to see if there is any play

Larry

Old 11-22-03, 06:20 AM
I agree, that this shouldn't be able to happen, but low and behold, there it sits in my shop! On this particuliar car, there's a dowl pin and 3 bolts that hold the cam gear to the cam shaft.
I'll take ANY thoughts and ideas on this one!!!!

Old 11-22-03, 07:20 AM
It's not on the cam sprocket where it happens. It's the crank sprocket for the belt.

What type of set up does the belt have on the crank

BTW which timing is off, ign or cam...I guess I should asked that first!

Larry

Old 11-22-03, 05:33 PM
This car has a long "keyway" on the crank. The key, the crank and the crank gear all appear to be in fine shape. No play "side to side" and it takes a slight tug to pull the gear off the crank.
It's the distributor that is out of time..When you pull the crank around to top dead center, on #1, the piston is all the way up, the timing marks on cam and crank are exactly lined up, and all 3 valves are closed. The rotor button, at this point, is about 40 degrees before TDC..

Old 11-23-03, 04:28 AM
What type of advance does this dist use, mech or comp?

Larry

Old 11-23-03, 05:12 AM
Timing is controled by the computer. There's 2 halves of a green connector you have to connect when setting base timing.
I've pulled the distributor, and see nothing wrong with it..I was actually expecting to see the shear pin broken, but it's intact...

Old 09-20-06, 12:02 PM
Exclamation justy problem

I am having the problem of the woodruff key slot in the crank getting messed up. The slot is huge. I there a easy fix for this? I tried to weld the gear to the crank but the welds broke. I found a engine at a junk yard for $100, but it is fuel injected and mine is carbed. do you think that the crank and timing gear are the same.