1990 Dodge rear brakes

Old 11-23-03, 07:17 AM
eingram
Visiting Guest
Unhappy 1990 Dodge rear brakes

In the chilton manual, it says to remove the hub assy in order to remove the rear drums. however, when I purchased new drums, they didn't come with the hub assy. How do I get the hub assy off the old drums (or vice-versa)?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-03, 07:20 AM
Salmonslammer I
Visiting Guest
What model??

Old 11-23-03, 07:32 AM
It should just pull off.

Old 11-23-03, 08:48 AM
What file?

Old 11-23-03, 10:08 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
this is on a dynasty?

i'd like to know too, i've never seen the two separated (hub and drum) i didn't even think they could come apart even if you tried.

i would imagine a big hammer is in your future, maybe the wheel studs are holding it together?

i'm curious too, and i'm willing to bet you didn't get the parts from a dealer.

why couldn't you just have the old drums resurfaced?

let us know what you find.

Old 11-23-03, 11:53 PM
eingram
Visiting Guest
I'll research it more this morning when the dealer opens. (I live in the central US time zone). I noticed that the forum time is GMT. Is this a British site?

Old 11-24-03, 04:26 PM
eingram
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up 1990 dynasty rear brakes

Mystery solved.
The hubs are held on by the wheel studs.
To remove, I soaked the hub flange where it contacts the drum with penetrating oil overnight, then placed the drums stud side up, and beat on the studs with a 3 LB. machinists hammer, one at a time, going around in a circle until the hub broke loose from the drum. (having purchased replacement studs beforehand)
Then I replaced the inner and outer bearings and seals. (bearings packed with High temp. bearing grease made for brake applications)
Replacement drums were purchased at Carquest At $57.00 ea. but were the original part made by the original manufacturer.
Add $10.00 for studs, $32.00 for bearings, and $39.00 for OEM shoes. Your calculator is as good as mine.
To answer a previous question about why not resurface (turn) them? Because they had already been turned once and they had grooves in them more that .032" deep. Previous owner probably didn't do the job right. I don't know.