Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Volkswagen Jetta power windows.

Visiting Guest

11-23-03, 08:11 PM   #1  
andyr
Volkswagen Jetta power windows.

I have a 97 VW Jetta 2.0L which has a bad power window motor on the passenger's side. The VW service manual explains that the first step in removing the motor / regulator is to remove the window glass.... the first step of this...of course is...you guessed it to "lower the window down"....and access the bolts on the clamps from inside the door". Obviously they dont explain how to lower the window if your motor has quit. After all, why would anyone be trying to remove the motor unless it had quit?

So, failing throwing a brick thru the window, any tips on how to break this loop, or do I have to go to the nice VW people and be charged 380 for parts plus 200 for labor?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-23-03, 10:39 PM   #2  
mike from nj
at least you said they were nice (vw people)

i would try banging on the motor itself a few times with a mallet, while holding the switch down. you might get the last gasp of life from the motor.

VA

11-25-03, 07:10 AM   #3  
see...

...if when you have the trim pad (door panel) off if you can tell how the regulator(the part that raises and lowers the glass) is attached to the door...if you can disconnect the regulater, you may be able to lat the whole schmeer down enough to gain access to the attaching hardware holding the regulator to the glass...flexible 1/4 drive sockets can come in handy in tight spaces like these...good luck!

Search this Thread