Stripped stem (lug nut)

Old 11-24-03, 02:31 PM
gerbunk
Visiting Guest
Stripped stem (lug nut)

I have a 93 Eagle Talon with a stripped stem. I just snapped it to get the lug nut off. Any advice on replacing the stem? Is it faily easy to get behind the rotor to replace it? Is it necessary to remove the rotor?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-03, 06:22 PM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
Are you trying to replace a lug nut stud bolt? You need to remove the rotor. Make sure there is clearance on the back side of flange.
Hold a large hammer on the back side and with another hammer, it should drive out. Get a new one, install it from the back, use a couple washers and reverse the lug nut and use it to pull the new one into place. Use wd40 or some type of lubricant while doing so. Dont hurry. I have removed them this way. you do not have to use extreme force. You can also press them out by removing hub/flange assembly and taking to a shop.

Old 11-25-03, 07:05 AM
never...

...strike a hammer with another hammer...it's dangerous and you could get hurt. just hit the stud with a hammer and be careful not to hit any others as you might damage them and not be able to start the lugnut properly. as for the install...darrell's instructions will work...PS...wear some safety glasses!!!

Old 11-25-03, 08:12 AM
darrell McCoy
Visiting Guest
No never strike a hammer with a hammer, BUT use a hammer on the back side of the hub, it will take the shock off the bearings.

Old 11-25-03, 08:23 AM
oops...

...my bad!!!

Old 11-25-03, 09:33 AM
gerbunk
Visiting Guest
thanks

appreciate the advice...just finished replacing the lug nut stem. Worked out fine!