Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Stripped stem (lug nut)

Visiting Guest

11-24-03, 02:31 PM   #1  
gerbunk
Stripped stem (lug nut)

I have a 93 Eagle Talon with a stripped stem. I just snapped it to get the lug nut off. Any advice on replacing the stem? Is it faily easy to get behind the rotor to replace it? Is it necessary to remove the rotor?

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

11-24-03, 06:22 PM   #2  
darrell McCoy
Are you trying to replace a lug nut stud bolt? You need to remove the rotor. Make sure there is clearance on the back side of flange.
Hold a large hammer on the back side and with another hammer, it should drive out. Get a new one, install it from the back, use a couple washers and reverse the lug nut and use it to pull the new one into place. Use wd40 or some type of lubricant while doing so. Dont hurry. I have removed them this way. you do not have to use extreme force. You can also press them out by removing hub/flange assembly and taking to a shop.

VA

11-25-03, 07:05 AM   #3  
never...

...strike a hammer with another hammer...it's dangerous and you could get hurt. just hit the stud with a hammer and be careful not to hit any others as you might damage them and not be able to start the lugnut properly. as for the install...darrell's instructions will work...PS...wear some safety glasses!!!

Visiting Guest

11-25-03, 08:12 AM   #4  
darrell McCoy
No never strike a hammer with a hammer, BUT use a hammer on the back side of the hub, it will take the shock off the bearings.

VA

11-25-03, 08:23 AM   #5  
oops...

...my bad!!!

Visiting Guest

11-25-03, 09:33 AM   #6  
gerbunk
thanks

appreciate the advice...just finished replacing the lug nut stem. Worked out fine!

Search this Thread