Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Timing Belt

Visiting Guest

11-24-03, 10:14 PM   #1  
cbca
Timing Belt

Hey there, need a little help, and hope I came to the right place. I have a 94 Geo Metro 1.0L FI...My timing belt broke today, and I am in the middle of replacing it. Q. > the manual says to line the upper and lower timing mark up then install the new belt. Well, I know where the lower one is but the top one seems to be a little round mark on the camshaft sprocket, I want to make sure that this is in fact the time mark for the top? Also if there is any other feedback you could give me on do's and don't I would be grateful.

Thank Doug

Oh, also I have read that this is a Interference motor, so does this mean anything special as far as replacing the belt after it has broke?

Sponsored Links
Group Moderator

FL

11-25-03, 03:57 AM   #2  
Check here for more info:

http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%...delLookup.html

Interference engines will bend the valves if the timing belt fails while the engine is running.

VA

11-25-03, 08:52 AM   #3  
t-belt

the mark on the camshaft sprocket should be straight up, aligning with the v-mark on the cover...the little round mark is the cam #1 mark...and you are right, it's an interference engine and if it broke while running, it's damaged to some degree...whether it slightly bent valves or broke some off...that's the question. just so you know...the replacement interval for that engine is 60,000 miles...good luck!

Visiting Guest

11-30-03, 07:58 PM   #4  
cbca
Thank you so much for help. Just want to let you know that I must be one of the lucky one, Got everything back together & did a compression test all checked out fine no noise at all and the engine is running better than before.. Not to bad for 148k, broke the belt going around 35mph, and it did no damage to the engine.. Thanks again.

Visiting Guest

12-03-03, 10:06 AM   #5  
bubinga1
Just want to let you know that I must be one of the lucky one, Got everything back together & did a compression test all checked out fine no noise at all and the engine is running better than before.
Sometimes you get lucky.

I have seen that happen on a Interference motor,
where the t/belt will go, but not damage the motor.
Thanks, Tony D.

Visiting Guest

12-03-03, 10:25 AM   #6  
darrell McCoy
Belts like that are a Preventative Maint. item, change them at proper intervals.

Visiting Guest

12-03-03, 10:46 AM   #7  
bubinga1
http://www.cybrrpartspro.com/Manual%20Lookup/cal_ModelLookup.html
I couldnt get the page to work. Looks like a good site, but when I hit enter, my download mananger came up, but would not download anything.??

Thanks, Tony D.

Search this Thread