Ddor Open Indicator/beels Ringing/lights Flashing

Old 11-25-03, 11:12 AM
Ddor Open Indicator/beels Ringing/lights Flashing

My daughter, a continent away from me, drives a 1995 dodge Caravan minivan. According to her, recently she has a dash light indicating that a door is open. This is coupled with a ringing bell and the interior lights flashing. Needless to say the door is not open. I have had a similar problem with a 1995 Ford Windstar van. Thanks to someone in this forum the solution was cleaning the copper contacts on the sliding side door and the door frame. I do this perodically as these things tarnish and start the sequence of warnings. I have to believe that the dodge van which my daughter drives has a similar problem . Any advice out there??? The distraction is driving my daughter nuts and before she gets a service call I thought there might be an easy solution.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-03, 03:27 PM
Sounds like you already have a good place to start. Quite often these are the culprits!!!
Billy

Old 11-25-03, 04:18 PM
Billy, do you know where these contacts are located on the 1995 dodge caravan? The car is in California. I am in Pennsylvania and the Haynes repair manual lacks any information on this. I was hoping to instruct my daughter how to clean these contacts if I had more specific information.

Old 11-25-03, 06:32 PM
Not sure exactly. They will be in the door jamb area. Most likely close to the latch. I know the newer vans are high on the B Pillar.
Billy

Old 11-25-03, 10:11 PM
mike from nj
Visiting Guest
here's how i find the problem switch:
what is wrong is a switch is out of adjustment, it's right on the edge of being open or closed, so, i close all the doors, make sure the dome light is off. walk to each door, and take a plastic trim stick (a tiny screwdriver wrapped in tape will work too) then i try to pry the doors open. all it takes is a 1/10th of a millimeter. that is what happens when she drives, the body flexes or the weatherstrip compresses that amount to trigger the switch. i try each door until i find the one that triggers the dome light, and that i can repeatedly make happen.

it's usually the sliding door, the button is a black plastic 'pin' switch at the rear of the door, in the door frame, pointing outward.

once the adjustment is lost (like this one) the repair is a new switch, even though it can be readjusted, it will soon go back to where it was.

you (she) needs to sit in the door, close it halfway, then pop out the switch, and DO NOT let the wires fall into the body.

the new switch sticks out like an extra half inch, the first time you close the door (smoothly) it seeks it's own level and is then adjusted properly.

as a test, you can cut a 1/2 by 1/2 inch piece of cardboard and tape it to the door frame on the contact area (shiny spot) the added height will push the switch closed more.

test (each door) first, replace (parts) last.