Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

1997 blazer service engine light

Visiting Guest

11-25-03, 12:41 PM   #1  
harveykarisma
1997 blazer service engine light

When you drive up a long hill under a fairly heavy load, the service engine soon light comes on and blinks then turns to a steady light. I have checked for codes. Only code I get indicates a general engine miss. I have replaced the cap, rotor, coil, spark plugs. The fuel injectors have been cleaned, the fuel filter has been replaced.

Anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links

11-25-03, 01:57 PM   #2  
Sounds like you need to check fuel pressure under the same load condition and see if it's dropping.The fuel pump might be getting tired.

11-25-03, 04:44 PM   #3  
If your still getting a hard code for a miss, then there is still a miss. Find out what cylinder and see what the plug looks like then go from there.

WV

11-25-03, 07:18 PM   #4  
You didnt mention changing the ignition cables. This is a good thing to do if you havent already based on age of the vehicle. Also if you can narrow it down to a single cylinder then you can check the compression on that cylinder against the others. If it is a random missfire then you have a different issue.
Good Luck with it,
Billy

11-26-03, 03:39 AM   #5  
Can you actually feel anything wrong with the way it is running when the light starts to flash?

Visiting Guest

11-26-03, 04:30 PM   #6  
harveykarisma
Thanks for the replies, everyone.
The ignition wires were new last year. Sorry, I should have mentioned that. The comment about the fuel pump is interesting. Recently, I had the spark plugs, etc., changed. The technician checked the fuel pump pressure and said it was slightly low, but he didn't seem to think it was low enough to cause a problem. Have these vehicles had a particular problem with the fuel pump?

11-26-03, 04:52 PM   #7  
On those vehicles when the pressure is about 5 psi low they are hard to start or won't start.You need 60 to 66psi key on engine off.At idle at least 55psi or you are running lean.Check your fuel pressure and let us know.

11-26-03, 10:37 PM   #8  
Originally posted by bigguy05641
Can you actually feel anything wrong with the way it is running when the light starts to flash?
I doubt a fuel pump failure is going to show up in the conditions you describe. The fuel pumps usually surface as a starting issue.

Visiting Guest

11-29-03, 10:17 AM   #9  
harveykarisma
You know, I was not smart to ask the technician what the fuel pressure actually was. I will do that. Also will have them check it again with the new fuel filter.

In answer to the question about whether or not you can feel it when the light comes on, I would have to give a qualified yes. It seems to not have had the power it should have. It is better since the tuneup, but still seems to struggle. I intend to go back to the garage where I had the work done and ask 1) How clogged up was the fuel filter and 2) what the pressure was. I hope he has a record.

My brother also was wondering if it got a load of bad gas somewhere along the line and the strainer in the tank is partly blocked.

My dilemma is that I am going to CA in less than a month for Christmas. I have considered having them pull the tank, flush it and replace the fuel pump as a preventative measure, but that is expensive and may be unnecessary.

11-29-03, 02:59 PM   #10  
If you don't trust your vehicle for the trip to Ca rent one don't start throwing parts at it.Please check some items mentioned and get back to us, this is info we need to proceed with helping you.

Search this Thread