94 chevy 1500 intake gaskets

Old 11-26-03, 06:43 PM
94 chevy 1500 intake gaskets

I just noticed coolant on the side of the block while changing engine oil.
Thought at first head gaskets.
Looked at top of engine and on both sides of intake next to valve covers there is a trail of coolant the complete length of block.
No evidence of top hose leaking or spray from another source.
I have 56000 miles but yet still almost 10 yrs old.
I have heard this is common with aluminum intake?
Is there anything I should be prepared for as far as parts other than gaskets for intake like normally breaking items other than wiring eyelets under bolt heads twisting?
Also the rear water outlet to heater core.
Should I get the complete fitting with clip or will the old one remove without a problem.
Finale question
Does this get removed by pushing down on hose and squeezing the 2 plastic parts and pulling up?
Thanks for all the help as before.
Rajung

Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-03, 10:28 PM
Go ahead and replace that coupler. You are describing the correct procedure to disconnect this device, called a quick connect. Sometimes called a quick disconnect, you'll find that once they get old and rusty, the name is an oxymoron.
The new gaskets, if u get them at a GM dealer have an arrow on them, make sure the arrow points forward upon installation.
Also, the old gasket will be quite difficult to remove. Avoid the temptation to use a power device such as a wire wheel or 3M disc to remove it, as the resulting dust will get down into your lower end and destroy your crankshaft bearings, no matter how careful you think you can be. Patience and a gasket scraper are the way to go.....

Old 11-27-03, 05:19 AM
A little trick I learned when doing this job- Leave the radiator cap on, pull the lower radiator hose off the water pump, and drain the coolant this way before starting.. The coolant rushing out, literally "vaccums" out the coolant from the heads and intake, leaving only a very little in those components.. Obviously, the less water into the engine, the better..
Also, if that water nipple breaks, (and it's about 95% chance it will!) they make a neat little extractor tool for about $8-10 Works GREAT!!

Old 11-27-03, 06:38 AM
Thanks for both replys.
I already have the gaskets but havent looked at them for the arrows, they are felpro.
Here in Iowa where you run on borrowed time this time of year with weather, patience gets tough to find.
as far as nipple breaking off I assume the drain ****?
I had it open a few weeks ago when I changed the coolant.
I usually do this at 3 years or so to avoid something like this
mm! must not help intake gasakets.
Also is this common on these with the comb. cast and aluminum?
Just one more thing, do you know off hand if the two steel lines to the throttle body on the rear and intake have enough flex?
thanks again!

Old 11-27-03, 06:54 AM
The water nipple I'm talking about is the "quick disconnect" on the rear of the intake, where the heater hose connects..
It's a cheap metal, and will almost certainly break.. The newer replacements are much better made!!
As for the fuel lines, usually, there's a "loop clamp" around them at a bell housing bolt.. You can climp up, reach down past the engine and wrench it loose..That'll usually give you enough slack/play in the lines to get the intake off the engine.

Old 11-27-03, 12:18 PM
doclove
Visiting Guest
I might add to all of these other suggestions that on reassembley you put liquid teflon on bolts that hold intake manifold down.Some go into water and others into oil galleys.Enjoy your afternoon.Rick

Old 11-27-03, 06:31 PM
You might be short on patience out in Iowa, but if you grind that gasket off with a 3m pad, you will be replacing that crankshaft, if not the whole motor. Using a scraper will break it off in big enuff chunks, so that if some gets into the pan, it won't get much past the screen on the oil pickup tube......
Bty, we drill the broken nipples out and then run a tap into it to clean out the threads.....either procedure works, just different strokes.........
Oh yeah, the steel lines will come up, just far enuff to slide the intake out, don't bend too far, or re-assembly will just be that much more of a pain. The less u bend, the less the pain...

Old 11-27-03, 07:10 PM
Thanks to all again for the info so as what I can expect.
Also I will enjoy my afternoon.It has to be better than to watch my DCowboys get whipped today
rajung

Search this Thread