Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Delayed Acceleration on 1995 Mitsubishi Galant LX

Visiting Guest

11-26-03, 08:31 PM   #1  
Spursfan
Delayed Acceleration on 1995 Mitsubishi Galant LX

This Mitsubishi Galant 1995 LX with Over-drive is in otherwise good shape(no leaks - just some squeaking noise from the drive belts especially in cold weather, disappears after the engine has been running a while). Every time I start the car, there is a delay in acceleration, and it almost feels like the engine is not responding to the gas pedal. After a short while, it picks up speed and the problem does not recur until after the car slows down to a stop and has to start again. The engine revs strongly when in park. I am planning to change the spark plugs because the power problem may be because of dead spark plugs(they have not been changed in a while - and the car just hit 95K miles). Could you please let me know if there could be another cause for the problem(eg dirty injector, etc) Davo, I know you will nail this one on the head. Also, what do you recommend I do about the squeaking drive belt pulleys? I saw a mechanic and he adviced that I get Belt dressing coz there was nothing wrong with the drive belts in his opinion.

Sponsored Links

WV

11-27-03, 10:04 AM   #2  
Check your intake air hose, and all other vacuum lines on the car. You could have a vacuum leak. I have seen this before. Many cars have come into my shop with the intake hose just loose where the last person took it loose for whatever reason and didnt re-tighten it. Its sucking too much air and will not run worth diddly.
I like to use silicone spray on a squeaking belt. First you might want to check to the tension on it. Some of these cars require a specific amount of tension and if it is too tight or too loose this will happen. Most times if the belt is squeaking it hs gotten a little glazed and some spray will help.
Hope this helps ya,
Billy

Search this Thread